Sign in to follow this  
APT

E30 instrument cluster short?

Okay I'm sort of stuck now, I replaced the odometer cogs in my cluster - they all work fine

BUT

Now the tachometer does not work, at first it was a blown fuse #21 changed that and it went fine put it all back together then i could smell burning plastic..

I opened it up and part of the board was fried (see photos) i got a new cluster unit and changed the circuit boards over (swapped the intrument heads over to the new boards) and drove the car around for 5 mins to test it (went fine) put everything back together and the same burning happend.

Refer photos below:

White needles original circuit board.

Posted Image

Red needles new circuit board.

Posted Image

The problem seems to happen between the yellow plug (pin 24) and blue plug (pin 2) http://s26.beta.photobucket.com/user/Staro...53d97b.jpg.html

I used the same SI board could this be the issue?

My car does not have an OBC

Any ideas ??

Edited by APT

Should also mention that my instrument cluster is motometer, I've traced the pin from the blue plug and it is the red/green constant + wire. Which also leads to the stereo and the clock.

Both clock and stereo work, so could it be a possibility it shorting somewhere there?

There is a short in that burnt circuit - wherever the burnt track leads to. I cant recall the cluster internals offhand.

A short will always start from the problem & lead back to it's source - in this case the red/green - obviously fuse 21.