Sign in to follow this  
MarcG

g260 problems help

hey lads, so a month or so ago i may have hit second a littler hard. ever since it crunchs changing up and down and also has a loud rattle when engine breaking in second. then today i accelerated a little hard when it was cold (i know silly) and next thing you know the gear box was putting out a loud wine under acceleration, which stoped after sitting at a red light for ten minutes.

my questions are, how much would you guess at a full rebuild? it is sitting behind a m50b25 turbo, am i better getting a different gearbox or the g260 rebuilt?

thanks alot guys

marc g.

p.s anyone got a 260 going cheap to get me by?

sounds like a bearing.

Would very much advise splitting the box before you decide.

If its just bearings then its not a huge job,just clean everything then reassemble with new bearings and oil.

if you can get the box out or cant do without the car then i would suggest getting a new box and slowly rebuild this one as a spare.

Dont be too worried, a little chip out of the bearing race can make a huge amount of noise and doesnt always do other damage. and as long as you have a haynes manual and do it step by step manual gearboxs arent to hard to rebuild, just make sure you have good light and a very clean work area.