Sign in to follow this  
37 South

Steering Lock

Last week after starting my car the steering lock would not release after starting the car.I called a locksmith and he said he could fix it so I could at least drive it home .After about 25 minutes and a lot of drilling he managed to get the steering wheel to turn but warned me that I should drive straight home as it could lock up any time while driving.That cost me $200 and he said I needed to get somebody to properly fix it .I have since tried to get several locksmiths to fix it so I could drive the car without worrying about the steering locking up while driving,so far nobody wanted to get involved and a couple quoted me about a $900 to fix it.I just cannot afford this sort of expense.If anyone has any other option.I would be welcome to hear from.

My other option is to sell the car as is and start using my Gold Card on the buses.The car is a 1996 318IS ,done 150000 km and is quite tidy with 17 genuine Motorsport wheels.Car is pictured on my profile.Any offers are welcome

I'd say you just need to replace the lock barrel. Had a similar problem with my 328i where the barrel got jammed and wouldn't go into the start position. Have you had issues with the key spinning in the barrel? If so I'd say that's your issue. Cost me 430 for a new one from BMW. Have a look on YouTube for e36 ignition barrel removal for a how to