Sign in to follow this  
adams202

E30 M50 with hesitation

Hey guys - some help with my e30 m50 if you don't mind

Changed my plugs and cleaned pod filter last week and now have an issue with a intermittent hesitation at low revs.

Strange feel when it hesitates almost like a blocked intake but not quite ( :blink: ) and then it really SNAPS back to life. Lasts about 1-2 seconds.

Only happens at low revs, under 3k

Hasn't happened until motor temp is warm/hot

Seems more likely to do after getting the revs up release throttle coast back to low revs and the when you re-apply throttle - happens 1 out of 10 times sorta deal

If you put the clutch in straight away it won't stall, returns to idle

What I've done so far…

Re-cleaned pod filter and washed all filter oil residue out

Cleaned MAF - (CRC MAF cleaner is boss) this has made the fault less common. Anywhere else I should be cleaning?

Checked air intake and vacuum hoses. Checked plugs & coils - Visually they look good

Replaced fuel filter (had to be done anyway)

Had it scanned - Had an oxy sensor fault after cat or something (I had it briefly explained to me that it's due to the conversion, still have a question mark around this)

Only started after the above 2 changes so I've assumed it likely to be related - I personally think it's related to the k&n air filter oil, I only lightly applied and let dry but its the first time I had used it , coincidence?

I'm no fan of fiddling in desperation and really have run out of ideas - anything left for a DIY'r like me to be checking before taking it in?

Thanks

dont use any oil on the filter ,m it will go through it and onto the maf or afm element/sensor and throw the readings off.

double and tripple check for air leaks , any cracks in hoses , hoses not push back in properly etc will cause running issues etc

Id check the oil thing first with the filter as said and air leaks.

If that all fails look more into that oxygen sensor. I've had a couple of friends with similar issues (jappa cars not BMWs but should be around the same) and it's ended up being that the oxygen sensor has completely failed and giving no readings at all to the ecu making it hesitate in a similar way