Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Speaker upgrade for e39

So couple weeks ago I got a new head unit in my e39 as well as a sub + amp (because I was really missing the feeling of actual bass which the stock speakers were not really putting out). The installation was done by Rapid Radio. I was thinking of upgrading the stock speakers as well but wanted to ask whether any of you have upgraded the stock speakers to any aftermarket ones before, and if yes then which speakers did you upgrade to?

I'm a bit of an audiophile so I really like balance/quality in what I listen to. Mark from Rapid Radio has recommended the Alpine SPX-13REF as an excellent choice for the e39. If anyone has tried out these speakers before, would be great to hear some feedback about them.

Some pics of the sub and head unit I had installed:

Sub

Head Unit

if you're going to be spending that kind of money on components you will obviously want to run them off an amp as well. i would be looking at something from Rainbow or DLS. personally I wouldn't buy from Rapid Radio as every time I have been in there to buy stuff I have walked out empty handed because I have been really put off by Mark, the guy just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

I'm not a fan of the X series, and without a front amp and some work on the door enclosures (e39 has plastic pods) nothing is going to sound overly good. I'd go for a more midrange 5.25 components.

or another suggestion while they can still be got. (ppi 355cs)

http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/Product-Catalo...p;ProductId=878

Which are also available via http://www.amazon.com/PPI-355CS-Precision-...s/dp/B006U4TREA ;)

These are a mid 2000's design , but are a great sounding and like the DLS will appeal to audiophile type tastes. Sounds best with lots of power behind them.

Edited by Neal

if you're going to be spending that kind of money on components you will obviously want to run them off an amp as well. i would be looking at something from Rainbow or DLS. personally I wouldn't buy from Rapid Radio as every time I have been in there to buy stuff I have walked out empty handed because I have been really put off by Mark, the guy just rubs me the wrong way for some reason.

haha, I haven't actually dealt with Mark in person. Pretty much all of our communication has been done through email, and when I took it into Rapid Radio someone else talked with me. He seems alright via email :D.

or another suggestion while they can still be got. (ppi 355cs)

http://www.rapidradio.co.nz/Product-Catalo...p;ProductId=878

Which are also available via http://www.amazon.com/PPI-355CS-Precision-...s/dp/B006U4TREA ;)

These are a mid 2000's design , but are a great sounding and like the DLS will appeal to audiophile type tastes. Sounds best with lots of power behind them.

Thanks Neal, that looks like a decent amount of savings I can make there. :) I'll have a look into those speakers.

Hey.

I've completely replaced all speakers in the cabin in my E39.

I've discussed here on various other threads you might be able to find.

I'm out of the country currently replying from a roof bar in KL. I'll be back in the country in a week with more time / access.

But more than happy to discuss If u have any questions. I replaced all speakers with precision power audio components (6.5s) and have achieved really excellent results.

Trust me. There's plenty of room for 6.5 speakers with really big magnets like the PPI's. No cutting of door cards or butchering anything.

You really should consider the bigger speaker size for real sound gains no matter what music you listen to.

PM me or reply here. Happy to help.

Edited by M5V8

Hey.

I've completely replaced all speakers in the cabin in my E39.

I've discussed here on various other threads you might be able to find.

I'm out of the country currently replying from a roof bar in KL. I'll be back in the country in a week with more time / access.

But more than happy to discuss If u have any questions. I replaced all speakers with precision power audio components (6.5s) and have achieved really excellent results.

Trust me. There's plenty of room for 6.5 speakers with really big magnets like the PPI's. No cutting of door cards or butchering anything.

You really should consider the bigger speaker size for real sound gains no matter what music you listen to.

PM me or reply here. Happy to help.

That's interesting, didn't think 6.5s could be put into an e39 without some altering of the door cards - does anything need to be modified at all or can they simply be put in place of the stock speakers? I've not DIY on car audio before so would probably rather have some one like Rapid Radio install it for me if I happen to buy the speakers for a more decent price on ebay/amazon.

That's interesting, didn't think 6.5s could be put into an e39 without some altering of the door cards - does anything need to be modified at all or can they simply be put in place of the stock speakers? I've not DIY on car audio before so would probably rather have some one like Rapid Radio install it for me if I happen to buy the speakers for a more decent price on ebay/amazon.

PM sent

Good luck & let us know how u got on.

Haven't received any PM from you yet. :o

Haven't received any PM from you yet. :o

Sorry I got another PM thought it was u. Hard as typin on iPhone in Singapore hotel lobby.

This is what I PM

I went with the precision power components. 6.5s and used two sets one for both front and rear.

Depending on your current setup you will have 5.25" drivers in the door with either a tweeter attached or one in the sail position.

BMW use sound tubes, plastic containers to amplify the sound to make the speakers sound better than they are. Like little boxes.

It's really not hard to ditch these and make up some custom wood speaker rings to allow for a larger woofer. If u aren't into installing any place worth their salt will be able to help. I wouldn't bother changing 5.25 speakers with just 5.5" ones. The improvement will be minimal as you will have to ditch the tubes anyway as i doubt you could make the larger speaker fit the tube easily.

Pickup a set of good 6.5's and get them powered off your amp if you can for the best result. Rear speakers are just fill so spend more on the front set this will give you the best bang for buck.

Oh also get them to dynamat the doors, I'm going to go back and do that shortly. It's worth the couple of hundred. As for brands money wasn't really and issue so I was looking at super expensive stuff like bostons and Polk audio but was told by a high end audio shop about the PPIs - precision Power speakers were just as good at half the price. I have to say I'm super impressed with mine. The quality of the speaker & crossovers are excellent.

You should be able to find some pics of some upgrades online I even found one guy did a 7.5" speaker but had to cut the door card.

Mine looks totally factory. You would never know.

Edited by M5V8

Sorry to make you go through that trouble mate, thanks for the fast PM replies.

And yeah sorry Arma, M5V8 replied me thinking it was you as I asked him similar questions upon reading this thread.

He also said to replace the tweeters if you have them, and you can buy the speaks in for around $300 landed from the states, as opposed to $1000 from rapid radio (my research).

Also M5V8, curious as to what amp/sub combo you run if you're running any. Thanks again and please take your time to respond, I'm not in a hurry and I know typing on iPhones in hotels is a pain...

Edited by zara

Has anyone heard the Ppi 3.65

All so known as the soundstream ref series. These are the replacement for the ppi 365cs. I considered these for the fronts in the M3 but the magnet was to deep without cutting metal in the doors.

Either way could be an option for the e39

Im lucky I have the M audio package (with the subs) so I decided to upgrade the speakers first using the factory M amp and see how it sounded.

Since the wife keeps telling me to turn it down its doing the job. :)

Keeping in mind I also am running the same PPI components in the rear of the car, I have to turn them down to balance the sound. I picked up both sets of PPIs for $1000 all up. Install took just two helpers and a few hours. Cutting the custom wood speaker rings took the longest time for the rear set to mount.

Just keep in mind that $300 US will prob end up costing you 450-500 in your hand with shipping / customs.

Soundstream is quality stuff but yes their magnets usually give clearance issues.

Edited by M5V8

One more quick question M5V8, did you get the 2 way or 3 way system? I'm in the process of buying them from sonic electronics