Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Replacing Cam Position Sensors

Is it generally OK to replace just one of the cam sensors, intake or exhaust (whichever one throwing fault codes) or is it recommended to replace both of them at the same time, regardless of if only one is throwing fault codes?

I'm getting the exhaust cps replaced on my e39 530i (fault code thrown) - although bunch of forums say it is best to change both sensors at once. Would changing the intake sensor as well make any difference if it isn't throwing any codes during scan?

Edited by Arma

We only have to replace the faulty unit on a M54.

Yeah like Glenn says, just do the one that's playing up. The exhaust is easy to get to, but the intake is more difficult and requires taking the air box & vanos solenoid out (in an E46 anyway - there might be a little more room to move in an E39). You will need to have the fault reset - it won't clear itself with just the sensor install.

Stay away from the cheap knock off sensors on ebay - if you want to do it yourself, Milland will be able to help out with the the right parts. Or you could take it to Glenn who will no doubt look after you...