Sign in to follow this  
Harrye

E46 Auto gearbox replacement

Hi ,

It seems my Gearbox has come to its end ? , i have no forward drive. But i can put it into reverse and drive all day long backwards. i was turning right under heave acceleration and i heard a THUD i first thought my drive shaft came off , after coasting it to a side road , i looked under the car and all was ok , tried R and it engaged and went back wards fine. but selecting D , was nothing it is like shifting it into N.

I have taken this to my Mechanic and he has looked at it and scanned it for fault code , but nothing comes up under engine , gearbox or throttle body..

So any suggestions ? - ive read some where about a gearbox remap ? but yeah does not sound likely .

I have a GM /SW gear box can I replace this with any other model ZF or must i get the same one.

what am i looking at paying for a 2nd hand one?

Thanks

Forward engagement drum has probably split ... get a second hand one and replace. Cost of refurb is 1000s ... I had reverse go in my old 300i.

Hellbm do a replacement service for e46s .. check the forum sponsors directory.

Similar thing happened to our old car. We sold it to our mechanic, who, at the end of the day, decided to get it rebuilt as it was cheaper than getting a 2nd hand one at the time. I think with ours the fluid started leaking and it got fried.