Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

Dropped low on Fuel now flow issues

Hi all.

So was sitting low on fuel coming home from work on Friday, OBC said 20k or less left. Idle started running rough while sitting at the lights, nearly home. Got to the petrol station without running out.. But today the power was not consistently there it will surge like it is lean on fuel then gets a better flow and revs up. I was thinking that something may be blocked? Fuel filter, pump. Where's the best place to start with this?

Appreciate any advise or knowledge on these symptoms.

Cheers, Adam

Hi all.

So was sitting low on fuel coming home from work on Friday, OBC said 20k or less left. Idle started running rough while sitting at the lights, nearly home. Got to the petrol station without running out.. But today the power was not consistently there it will surge like it is lean on fuel then gets a better flow and revs up. I was thinking that something may be blocked? Fuel filter, pump. Where's the best place to start with this?

Appreciate any advise or knowledge on these symptoms.

Cheers, Adam

sounds like a bit of crap got suck-up,pull out the pump and check the pump speed

and the little screen at the bottem of the pump,all good-then move on the fuel filter

easiest place to start

Has it sucked some crap (water / rust / dirt) through from the bottom of the tank? Does it have a fuel filter, and have you checked it?

also if you run the tanbk low on fuel it will be sucking air and damage the pump motor as they use th efuel to keep the pump motor cool , so you may have damaged it and require a new one

also if you run the tanbk low on fuel it will be sucking air and damage the pump motor as they use th efuel to keep the pump motor cool , so you may have damaged it and require a new one

That's not cool. I have some fuel pumps sitting around. 2x e28 pumps. Will take it out and see what I find. If I run it out of the car it should be ok as long as it is pumping fuel? What should I be listen/ looking for?

I found the fuel filter, underneath rear of car on driver side, but you cant really see anything from outside or take it apart. Probably just a good time to replace it, they don't cost much anyway. Looking at bmwfans it uses the same filter as a lot of bmw's including e30's.

Cheers for responses.

Edited by tcbaurpower

Just take the fuel filter off and blow on one end, if you find it hard to blow air through it, it should be replaced.

Replaced fuel filter and all seems ok. What came out of the old one seemed watery.