Sign in to follow this  
dr_kahu

Question about aftermarket PDC

Hey,

My missus brought a car and it already had an aftermarket PDC applied for the rear only (the type which just beeps, no screen/display).

It appears that all but one is non-functional (did the 'click' test). Rather than plug the holes, I thought I'd try and at least fix it.

My question is (not knowing the brand) are all aftermarket sensors interchangable? I do realise they can 'look' different, but is there like an 'ISO' for the plug-end on the PDC?/are they universal?

I haven't taken the bumper off for a proper look yet.

cheers

From the PDCs I have worked with there is no standard for the actual sensors nor the connectors on the back are made to a standard to allow inter-changing.

That said, the sensors are made by only a handful of suppliers rather than the car companies, Bosch, Siemens, etc and there are not a huge number of different types. If you can get the non-functioning ones out they may well have the makers name and part number on them, so you can source replacements, worst case you might need to Google it.

I had a crack at it last night. It appeared to be installed by some outfit in Auckland called "ThirdEye". Unfortunately it appears that 3 of the 4 sensors are not working, so might just disconnect the audible error sound and then look into it later on.