Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Parking brake not working?

Problems just like to pile on me :D. Anyway, noticed earlier today that the parking brake/hand brake on my 530i doesn't actually stop the car at all (slightly slows it down, but car still moves forward with no squeaking sound). Only the parking gear seems to be holding the car in place when it is stopped. When car is in gear and handbrake is locked, the car still moves forward. Is the handbrake completely stuffed? Or should i have some hope that it could be something small? Ive never driven this car rough so no idea what happened - i came across this problem accidentally.

i havent done the fix but mines the same.

apparently e39s are common to need the handbrake adjusting at the rear calipers.

havent done it myself but i have seen write ups online.

Just sounds like it needs adjusting. They're real easy to do, done them plenty of times for my mates drift car to tighten it right up.

Makes for a funny job when you tighten it the wrong way and go to pull up the handbrake then it stands upright.

E39 parking brakes do need adjustment every so often.

Whenever it was in for work at Team McMillan they seemed to do it at no extra cost, so I assume its an easy fix.

Sweet thanks for the replies guys. Got a new thermostat, water pump and radiator hose coming in from pelican parts so will get the brakes looked at in the workshop when those r being replaced :)

Edited by Arma

I think this is a stupid question, but is it okay to fully apply the handbrake even while gear is in D? For an automatic gearbox, say at a traffic light on a flat surface.

I never do it and when I have done it, it feels like I'm forcing the car to stop, I usually just press and hold the brake pedal...

It's exactly the same as you pressing in the brake pedal except you're not using the brake pedal to make the car not move :P

Usually you put the car into Neutral and put the parking brake on.. (I hate the car stopping against the "park lock")

if the issue is lack of holding power its not adjustment, it is more likely to be dust in the handbrake drum.

You simply take the drums off , clean them out , sometimes deglaze the drums and the shoes and put them back together, just a regular maintenance item.

A good description will generally result in a better diagnosis

Yup it's pretty much lack of holding power. Will check out / fix soon. Thanks.