Sign in to follow this  
M5V8

rental dispute

Of course if the refund doesn't happen I have no choice.

If it doesn't happen (today), then dispute the whole lot.

Be sure to leave some nasty reviews ;)

Sounds like a nasty rental place. Hope you get the refund mate and, as Allan said above, if you don't then just dispute the whole amount!

Edited by Arma

oh I will be!

he said it's done, it's still not in my account but since it's a credit card refund I know it can take a couple of days so I'll be patient.

If it's not there by, say early next week I'd say he's def not lived up to his end.

he's charged my debit card so already took the money before he called me.

He/She can't legally charge you without prior consultation. End of story. Call your bank, they will do a credit card charge back.

It would be especially helpful if you could provide proof that there was damage prior to hire. When we travel overseas, I always take photos of every angle of the car we hire as I've been burnt in Tasmania once before, well, serves me right for going there in the first place I guess!

You have a leg to stand on, he should not have charged you without prior consultation, it's borderline credit card fraud. You seriously don't want this to head to court with a summons e.t.c It will only take up your time and cost more money, avoid this, avoid it like a Toyota.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Why do I find this quote so f**king funny?

Why do I find this quote so f**king funny?

It's not funny Mike, it's written into NZ Law. They only Toyota I've ever wanted to own was Clarkson's ute with a Honda 225 on the back. Even then, was it reliable upside down?

You have a leg to stand on, he should not have charged you without prior consultation, it's borderline credit card fraud. You seriously don't want this to head to court with a summons e.t.c It will only take up your time and cost more money, avoid this, avoid it like a Toyota.

I disagree. Darren handed over his credit card, and anyone who rents a car would presumably be aware that a charge will be made against it in the event of damage. If Darren was aware that a charge could be made, then he accepted that the company can make a charge against his card. However, if he did not (say the situation was Darren handed over the card to pay for the rental fee ONLY, but the company kept his card details without his knowledge, then it is not legitimate to place a charge on the card).

The act of placing the charge is legitimate, as if Darren did in fact damage the car the company should be able to charge for any damage if the renter accepts these charges. However, Darren would want to challenge the basis for placing the charge, not the actual charge itself.

Disputes Tribunal has a fixed $50 fee. The process is so straightforward that the biggest hassle is turning up. You would not make a claim in the District Court for a small matter such as this.

I disagree. Darren handed over his credit card, and anyone who rents a car would presumably be aware that a charge will be made against it in the event of damage.

However - it sounds like he was not required to sign the rental document - it's that document that gives the rental company permission to make further charges to the card. Without the signed agreement, the has hirer has NOT agreed to pay the extra charges, and the credit card company will do a chargeback, as an unauthorised "purchase".

I had someone dispute a charge, I sent a copy of the SIGNED agreement, along with the proof of infringement (speeding, in this case). Credit card company did nothing. Without the agreement, they'd have done a chargeback.

thanks for the very kind offer dave,

but a few hundred dollars to make this go away at this point is worth the reduction in stress.

I do appreciate everyone's input.

And I did use some of your feedback in my responses to the company owner so I am very grateful to all those whom piped up here.

Interesting it sparked such a passionate conversation.

I think everybody hates to see someone ripped off.

I had my house windows made by RYAN WINDOWS AND DOORS, and they were terrible, poorly made leaky things, they spent 3 months not fixing them very well and cost me thousands of dollars and lost my builder in the process due to work stopping on the build - I took them to disputes tribunal and they didn't bother to turn up. I won the case and didn't pay the remainder (I should have had an entire refund though).

I think everyone wants you to have the same outcome. There are a LOT of dodgy people out there, who'd do better by being honest and professional, instead of being sneaky, dodgy, deceitful and greedy.

I'm sure you'll be sure to tell all your friends about it..... ;)

We have no local RYAN WINDOWS AND DOORS branch anymore B)

talk to the bank, they can reverse the charge (im told, haven't done it myself.)

I have reversed a charge from an online purchase without any problems. It even turned out to be a premature action on my part and so they reversed it back ('once the dust had settled') to the merchant. Point is they'll do it and (in my case) at no cost. You're covered for something like 30 days of purchase/transaction.