Sign in to follow this  
E30stz

How does one bring back that old school shine.

I've decided to give my car a good polish and wax before the South Auckland meet to clean up all the paintwork.

My car is a prefacelift 88 and I really want to be careful about keeping my clearcoat and paint in good nick and try not to damage it.

I have 1 small area around the sunroof which the paint is flaking a bit, I'm assuming that I should avoid this area.

I have a electric buffer, but I dont have a licence to use one. I know you use it lightly with no pressure, and assume you swirl it on and buff it off ... but thats about it, is there something im missing here.

My arsenal of products I have to work with include:

Meguiars Scratch X

Meguiars Nxt Generation Car Wash

Meguiars Gold Class Wax

Meguiars Deep Crystal Polish

Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax

Meguiars Fine Cut Cleaner

Meguiars Swirl Remover 2.0

I'd like to know if someone could help me by talking me through the polishing and waxing process. Will post pictures of progress.

Edited by E30stz

Guest Andrew

OK

Megauirs 3 step is your friend.

So easy

Probably i'd start with a healthy claying.

Step 2 would be paint cleaner

Step 3 would be polish

Step 4 would be wax

Step 5 would be sealant

Hell i never do that on my car but it would look mint.

Alternatively let me do it for you when I get my car back around mid november hah

I 3-stepped 2 months ago. Took me ages, but result was worth it. Cloth just slid off the bonnet and boot once finished, and takes f-all to get it looking reasonable now.

Andrew - do you recommend 3-stepping every time, or just the second two steps?? Will the paint cleaner remove the wax, or is the idea that the wax is gone anyway by the time it needs it again?

the cleaner will remove any wax.. try cleaning it the full range every couple of months, if your really into it maybe once a month... f**k that.

clay is your bestest friend eva!

30% off Meguiars clay and quick detailer at Super cheap auto .. think it was $30.

Its $49.95 i think it was at Repco.

finished it last night - havent been able to take photos yet but its come out flippin awesome. Am gonna spend today working on interior and blackening up the bumpers etc.

Cheers for the help.

Andy

post-6-1127359033.jpg

Edited by E30stz

well was talking with Graham the other day

come to the conclusion.... its either

$150-250 incl GST and get it professional installed

or a of beer and get a rangi bimmersport installl

Bilsteins are my xmas present so yeah - am sorting out having hte car serviced at hte moment then once I know I need to get work done on the suspension I'll burn my money @ shox.com

Cheers

Andy

Edited by E30stz

DIY. Only special tools needed are spring compressors (unless you go extra rangi). You'll be able to do it in a morning easy. Don't forget wheel alignment.

Guest Andrew

well was talking with Graham the other day

come to the conclusion.... its either

$150-250 incl GST and get it professional installed

or a of beer and get a rangi bimmersport installl

Bilsteins are my xmas present so yeah - am sorting out having hte car serviced at hte moment then once I know I need to get work done on the suspension I'll burn my money @ shox.com

Cheers

Andy

its hardly the rangi bimmersport install

its bloody easy - and would be quick as. Gus can crank the front quick and i'll do the nice and easy rear.

Graemes took so long as we had to take/install suspension out of 3 cars!