Sign in to follow this  
JJohnsen88

Quick question about E36 thermostat replacement

I'm thinking of changing my thermostat as the car runs cold 90% of the time only in slow traffic does it normalize so from experience these symptoms tell me this needs to be done, however, I'm wanting to know 1) Where do I find a good quality thermostat in Dunedin without going to Cooke Howlison BMW and paying an arm and a leg and how much? 2) If replacing thermostat doesn't solve the problem what would the next most logical option be?

Try Paul at miland, he sells plenty of oem quality parts on trademe and is local. But if your doing the thermostat you should probably look at doing the water pump aswell as they can fail if it's old -only about 100buks. Also good time to check over the hoses etc to sell if they need replacing.

Definitely Paul..

Genuine from Cookies probably isn't that much more though.

+1 for waterpump

For running cold, probably is the thermostat. my E34 (same engine) was exactly like this when I got it, someone had pried the thermostat open like a typical ignorant kiwi.

Being a 1992 I assume it has a metal thermostat housing too anyway, so no need to get the "better" metal one.

Edited by antil33t

Oyea, if it is the plastic housing for the love of god!!!! Replace it with the alloy one. If you dont, I (and many others) will garentee youl crack it replacing the t.stat. I know I did!

Yep what he said. It's not fun parking up at the petrol station with a whole lot of fresh coolant over the floor court.

Oyea, if it is the plastic housing for the love of god!!!! Replace it with the alloy one. If you dont, I (and many others) will garentee youl crack it replacing the t.stat. I know I did!