Sign in to follow this  
UBH8N

E30 valve chatter/noise (video)

Recently brought me a E30, loving every moment im in it. only one thing thats nagging me, the valve chatter im getting(well at least i think its that).

The video dose not it justice, its alot more noticeable actually being in the car.

i done a bit of research and found out its pretty common to get valve noise in E30's but want another opinion on it to put my mind at ease.

Im planing to do a check/adjustment on the valve clearances this coming weekend in hope to rid the noise

Car specs 89 320i E30, 325i engine, M52b28 crankshaft now 2.8L

Thanks

M20's are always noisy, ticktickticktickticktick... that means the valves are working...

In my experience with M20s I guess that the rockers, cams and the valves themselves wear out.

basically just adjust the valves and that's really it.

Best way to fix it is to remove the boat anchor and install an M5x

Recently brought me a E30, loving every moment im in it. only one thing thats nagging me, the valve chatter im getting(well at least i think its that).

The video dose not it justice, its alot more noticeable actually being in the car.

i done a bit of research and found out its pretty common to get valve noise in E30's but want another opinion on it to put my mind at ease.

Im planing to do a check/adjustment on the valve clearances this coming weekend in hope to rid the noise

Thanks

off topic

get your brakes checked, theres a red light on your dash

Thanks

I have an e30 325i, they all tick. Dont worry about it unless its overly noisy, then get your valves adjusted. I replaced my camshaft, valves, rocker arms etc for other reasons but the tick went away for about a week. It's only very very slight now but its still there. So dont worry

off topic

get your brakes checked, theres a red light on your dash

Yea i know about the brakes, they are fine, replaced just recently. Guessing just a dodgy connection somewhere, im not at all worried about it :D

Yea i know about the brakes, they are fine, replaced just recently. Guessing just a dodgy connection somewhere, im not at all worried about it :D

There are wear sensors on the front left and rear right wheels. New sensors are about $15. Or you can wire them together to make a closed circuit and the light will go out.

Thanks

Tickatickatickatickaticka Its a sound you get used to until you drive next to a center barrier and it sounds 5x worse than it actually is.

give em an adjust when its dead cold.

She'l be right! haha

Also flick me a text, a few of the boys up here are from Invergiggle so we can help more directly if need be.

Cheers

Edited by pldubs