Sign in to follow this  
RustyItalian

E61 off on a towtruck...

Sigh...

My new E61 wagon got carted off to BM Workshop tonight after refusing to start. Wife was out and parked at the base of Mangere Mountain (not the best place to break down near dusk...). I got the distress call at work.

Note this is a push button start car. Basically car wouldn't turn over.

Battery was 12V. With jumper leads (13.8V indicated) still nada.

BM Workshop said this engine has a known issue with the starter solenoid. Removal is intake manifold out job. <_<

Shall we start a sweepstake how much this gremlin costs to vanquish? :rolleyes:

Stink! At least you know your car is in good hands.

dont worry it happens to other cars too,i received the same phone call,the wifes Suzuki swift did the same...and it still wont start after charging battery overnight.....

dont worry it happens to other cars too,i received the same phone call,the wifes Suzuki swift did the same...and it still wont start after charging battery overnight.....

but at least with a swift you can pick it up and carry it home.

but at least with a swift you can pick it up and carry it home.

And the manifold wouldn't have to come off :) Part might cost the same though :o

Thankfully the problem has been found. The rear taillight lens was separating from the housing allowing water entry. This had pooled in the boot and affected the electrics. They have dried things out and it is running fine again.

Interestingly I actually had the electric tray out from under the spare a month ago while troubleshooting my dead Bluetooth. It was dry as a bone back then.

Gotta finish my bathroom reno so I can get the gib out of the garage and the car in...