Sign in to follow this  
d.p.n.s

e30 med case crown wheel &pinion options

sorry if this isn't in the right place.

but ive got a e30 med case 3.9 lsd and im just wanting to know what other

model crown wheel and pinions will bolt to my lsd carrier.

its for my race car and I cant afford a heap of lsd diffs so im just wanting to get a few other ratio

crown and pinion sets.

thanks for any help.

dan

The LSD centre can be 'swapped' between any Medium Case Diff (typ 188).

BUT, it is not quite as simple as unbolt the crown wheel and stick another crown wheel on it and away you go.

As all the bearings will need to be adjusted to suit, which I wouldn't DiY.

The LSD centre can be 'swapped' between any Medium Case Diff (typ 188).

BUT, it is not quite as simple as unbolt the crown wheel and stick another crown wheel on it and away you go.

As all the bearings will need to be adjusted to suit, which I wouldn't DiY.

so its not a case off pulling my diff apart changing the pinion gear, changing the crown wheel and putting it back

as it came apart .?

sorry not trying to be funny mate as I do take all the advise you give me on board its just I havnt played with ones of these diffs(well apart from locking them).

put I have pulled apart and rebuild a lot of other diffs in the past.

If you are well versed in tearing down, reassembling and most importantly resetting a diff, then it would be no problem.

The resetting is the part that is beyond me, setting pinion depth, bearing preload, backlash etc....

And this will all be affected if you change the centre, as it may sit differently in the side bearings, and the crownwheel offset may differ. All very minutely of course.

If you are well versed in tearing down, reassembling and most importantly resetting a diff, then it would be no problem.

The resetting is the part that is beyond me, setting pinion depth, bearing preload, backlash etc....

And this will all be affected if you change the centre, as it may sit differently in the side bearings, and the crownwheel offset may differ. All very minutely of course.

no all im wanting to do is keep the same centre LSD and just remove the .3.9 crown and pinion set and change it to others as I want them.

I know the crush tube can be a pain but I was just going to mark the nut and count the turns to take it off and put it back the same.

but my question is will all 188mm crown and pinion sets work.?

Not all of them will. Some of the later E36 diffs have a different crown wheel position, smaller diameter pinion shifts it toward the centre.