Sign in to follow this  
zephyr

E34 540i Radiator question

In the weekend I did some work in replacing what I thought was a split in the waterpipe going from the engine to the radiator. however when I've remove the old pipe at the radiator end a bunch of the plastic which is part of the radiator has become brittle and broken off into a lot of little pieces.

this is what is currently looks like

Posted Image

with the damage thats done it wont allow for me to properly clamp the new waterpipe back into place without it being attached poorly and/or still leaking Is there any other way of fixing this other than completely replacing the radiator?

Any help would be appreciated.

In the weekend I did some work in replacing what I thought was a split in the waterpipe going from the engine to the radiator. however when I've remove the old pipe at the radiator end a bunch of the plastic which is part of the radiator has become brittle and broken off into a lot of little pieces.

this is what is currently looks like

Posted Image

with the damage thats done it wont allow for me to properly clamp the new waterpipe back into place without it being attached poorly and/or still leaking Is there any other way of fixing this other than completely replacing the radiator?

Any help would be appreciated.

unfortunately time to bite the bullet, new radiator

Edited by JKSE

new rad time.

this happened my old e36.

luckily for me there was enough left to clamp to so I could get home.

The rest of the plastic will be about as brittle - it was on borrowed time already it seems!

repalcement radiators are cheap these days.

Do you think that I should be going new for a replacement or is a second hand one likely to be sufficient?

Do you think that I should be going new for a replacement or is a second hand one likely to be sufficient?

a secong hand one is probaba\ly onn borrowed time too unless it can be established its new(er)

Changing the tank can be more costly than a complete unit - Price one up - they're probably only 3-400 for a complete brand new Nissens brand or similar. Dunno if I'd get a no-name chinese one though.

I got a Taiwanese cryomax for like $250.