Sign in to follow this  
polley

Removable radiator support

Anyone know what the deal is with making a replacement / removable radiator support in regards to certification etc?

Car is a E30, and I intend on removing the top and bottom radiator support, and replacing it with tube and making brackets to mount the head lights and grills to etc.

Something very much like this:

Posted Image

I would also like to know, as my E36 was the victim of one of the bottom radiator brackets falling out (I am guessing the tab that clicks into place weakened over time).

Very poorly designed, i would have expected a lot better means of support for a crucial cooling item, rather than an adaptation of a tv remote battery cover.

it is a structural item but im not sure i would say its a impact critical item.

it should be ok with a well designed bar.

i would do some research get photos of what you want to build, what is standard and whats connected. then go talk to a certification guy, they have to do the cert so their decision and they should be able to give good input.

would make engine changes much simpler

It can't be that structural.

Being a 89 it doesn't comply with any frontal impact regs anyway. So it's fine to remove it and make some thing else.

Will also be putting in a hoop at the bottom to mount a sump guard from.

Talked to cert guy but as usual it's "just do it and I'll tell you if it's any good or not", but in saying that I flew through my last cert no problems.

I would also like to know, as my E36 was the victim of one of the bottom radiator brackets falling out (I am guessing the tab that clicks into place weakened over time).

Very poorly designed, i would have expected a lot better means of support for a crucial cooling item, rather than an adaptation of a tv remote battery cover.

Yes the radiator plastic mounts are a bit piss poor. I had a woopsy in my car the other week and the radiator mounts broke which resulted in the radiator getting munched by the power steering pulley.

I need to remove the radiator support so I can move my intercooler backwards, and the radiator forward. As well as fitting a larger radiator.

yea some cert guys are like that.

If you build it to a quality level of what was shown before i can see you having any issues.

just bear in mind he doesnt have a bonnet mounted, could get very tricky there with hinges, latches etc everything gotta line up.

Think I will change to a fiber glass bonnet and run hood pins. Not interested in getting the latch to line up, and the release cable has snapped anyway :)

different issue but dont warrent people hate fiberglass bonnets and bonnet pins at all corners unless its a caged car?

tube front end would look awesome, heaps of room to put electric fans

I'll retain the rear mounting system. So just pins at the front, but I'll use the recessed type with key locks hopefully. Something like this

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/626158638

The warrant guy can get f**ked, if he does not like it I'll take it some where else.

Yup more room for fans!

Trying to find a place that sells spot weld drills. I'm quite excited to cut the front out of my car.

Edited by polley

ive fount trade places like bnt or tradezone are best for the spot weld drills.

Take some measurments for distance between gaurds etc and diagonal distances before you cut, its not likly to get out of square but if it does those measurments will save your life

My initention was something like this:

c/o Bimmerforums

Posted Image

Posted Image

Can't find the pics of the mounting / attachments sorry, but it's pretty simple from memory.

Yeah that looks simple enough and it would keep all the factory mounting for head lights and grills.

It won't really work for me though a with it there it does not allow me to move my radiator forward. The radiator would have to sit under the support, and that would be to

low.

ive fount trade places like bnt or tradezone are best for the spot weld drills.

Take some measurments for distance between gaurds etc and diagonal distances before you cut, its not likly to get out of square but if it does those measurments will save your life

Yep Will do. I also have some factory measurements in a pdf some where that could be handy.

Cut the front out. Tube bender has gone walk abouts, so couldnt really do much else.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Heaps of room for intercoolers and radiators / fans now!

It aint a grinder till its a 9 inch grinder.

Looks good

Yep, capable of doing some damage. Dude at work had the 9 inch kick back and take a liking to his thigh. 60 stitches later.....

Looks like the front end of mine now!!!

except your engine is too far forward

Completely agree on the too far forward part, but it will stay where it is for now. Once it becomes a dedicated track car I'll think about moving it backwards.