Sign in to follow this  
aw-krazy

e36 328i Oil recommendation

Hey all, was wondering what kind of oil i should be running in my car. Car is a m52b28 328i e36

For the past 2 years i have been using 15W40 castrol magnatec.

My friend uses 5w30 Mobil 1 and sometime 0w40 both fully synthetic

Any advice on the best oil i can use for my car

I use ELF 5w30 Excellium in mine and in customers vehicles with nill problems

Okay so you recommend using that? And i am definitely going to go with using 5W30. Also heard Royal purple is quite good?

I use Penrite HPR10. but HPR5 might suit you better.

Hi there. Can I ask what the reasoning is behind wanting to change what probably works fine at the moment oil wise for you?? For me, many years ago with both diesel & petrol motors of various types, I had nothing but hassles with Mobil oils, that were 'supposidely' suitable for the application - I've used nothing bar Castrol oils since, problem free, on anything from motorbikes upwards......

A good friend of mine switched to Mobil 1 on some of his stuff - his verdict was it was a bit like the oil was too good or too high tech really...........

Just my 2c worth........ :) If its not broken.............

Ive only ever run castrol magnatec in my car and would like to try something else to see if theres any difference in a different oil. + one reason i want to switch is i heard bad reviews about magnatec with it sticking to your internals. So i will try a full synthetic oil and report back and tell you what difference i feel

I started with 15w40, then 10w40, and since changed to synthetic 4 years ago. 15w40 is way too thick, makes initial acceleration slow or need high rpm, like reversing out of my driveway or accelerating away from traffic light, when compared to 0w or 5w synthetic, it is quick off the line, I don't need high rpm to reverse out of my driveway.

have use Castrol Edge 5w30, Penrite HPR5 5w40, Mobil1 0w40, Valvoline SynPower 5w40, all these oil are BMW Longlife 98 or 01 approved

Just because you can use Castrol Edge 5w30, it does not mean you can use Mobil1 5w30. I think it's because the Castrol Edge 5w30 are on the thicker side of 30 or the Mobil1 5w30 is on the thinner side of 30, that is why they are not suitable in the case of Mobil1 5w30. Mobil1 5w30 is not even ACEA A3/B3 or B4 so BMW is definitely saying they are not suitable, probably doesn't provide enough protection.

A salesperson working at Mobil1 NZ went on a course about oil, he asked what is so special about Mobil1, why do they sell for so much more than competitors, the trainer ask him, have he noticed how every major supplier will claim their oil is best; and the reason is, it can't be proven either way, one manufacturer can't prove that another manufacturer's oil is not the best so everyone can make up their own test condition to prove their oil performs better.

So, I am using whatever is on special at the time, these day it seems like only Penrite and Valvoline are the ones on special which cost $11/L instead of Castrol edge which I used to pay $9/L when on special.

so recommendation is as long as it has BMW Longlife 98 or 01, it means it has been tested and approved by BMW, otherwise you can also use any ACEA A3/B3 or B4