Sign in to follow this  
Dave@nz

E36 headlining replacement, Christchurch

Hi guys,

I have sagging headlining on my e36 sedan with sun roof and are after recommendations of a good Auto upholster

in Christchurch also what would this cost?

You could try

Patrick Upholstery

Agnew Bros

M S Upholstery

All would charge about $400 - 500 to remove headlining, replace fabric and re install. Sun roof may increase that cost a bit. (Was $350 for my coupe with no sunroof)

It would be cheaper if you removed the headlining, took of the fabric and glue, and then reinstalled it all.

Having done that it is not a big step to glue the new fabric on yourself.

Thank you for the information I have been looking up threads relating to removing the hood lining does not look to difficult to do at home just not sure of the sun roof piece. I will ask M S Upholstery for a price and if they would sell just the material.

Thanks,

Dave.

As a matter of interest how difficult to get the headliner panel out of the car?

Mine is sagging and needs to be fixed but I won't have the time to fix it immediately, I'm wondering if I can just remove the whole thing and cruise around with it out for a week or so?

Very easy. Just have to play around with you seats to squeeze it out.

OP - if you do it yourself you should be able to do it for around $50. I went to Spotlight and picked up some fabric and glue. Would be happy to lend a hand if you want but haven't done one with a sunroof before.

Hi Gareth,

Thanks for the offer I am slowly talking myself in to it and I will let you know if I need a hand, probably next step is look for some material. Sounds like should be able to save plenty of $ doing it my self.

Dave.

Easiest way is to buy a good used one from a wrecker, they sell for around the $120 mark.

To remove you just need to unscrew your visors and grab handles, remove lights and sunroof control, remove the A and C pillar trim (helps a lot but not necessary), then pry it out from around its edges. Then you can maneuver it out the drivers/passenger door