Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

Heads on the keys

Seems trivial but the cars I've been looking at this time around have all had fat ugly heads like this one:

Posted Image

In case the car I end up getting has one of those, is it pretty simple to change the head on it? I much prefer the one I had on my 96:

Posted Image

Also, came across this while I was looking for pics. Reckons all the post-95 keys store the car's mileage? Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers

I remember reading something elsewhere about it stores servicing information on late model keys (post-2000). Your first pix is the post-95 keys which is just a key with immobiliser chip inside.

Almost 3-grand NZ for a key reader? Bit of a rip-off don't you think? Probably can buy a code-read or OBD-II computer for that much. I am sure those can tell more that what's on the key!

You won't get a key that looks like the second key ...

And no you cannot change the head on the key... from my experience all the jap import bmw's come with the key on the top .. however all the NZ new bmw's have a different key yet again, which is the one i have ...

BMW dealers have one of those proper key readers, it stores a lot of information on the key itself, owner, mileage etc. ... i asked one of the dealers in Australia to show me it when i was over there earlier this year ...

You won't get a key that looks like the second key ...

Why do you say that? THat's precisely the key I had on my 96 E36, jap import.

Dude, its just a key

It's also the only part of the car you cary around with you all the time.

Aren't you looking at E46 cars now ???

E46 car keys doesn't look like that ....

Oh ok .. well if you are still looking at E36 then there might be a slim chance u'll get another one of those keys .. but if your looking at e46 then it's no chance...