Sign in to follow this  
tmase

ABS Module repair

I've been getting an intermittent ASC/ABS fault that renders my speedo inoperative as well. When I hooked up the laptop INPA was showing an left rear wheel speed sensor error. I have a replacement sensor to fit, but no time to do so as yet. After doing further research it seems it might be poor electrical connections in the ABS module causing the issue, engine heat can cause soldered joints to pull apart as the vehicle heats up, and then contract and reconnect when it cools overnight apparently. This can simulate the wheel sensor fault, among others, or so I have read.

Does anyone have any recommendations or even know of companies that complete repairs on these units in New Zealand? There seem to be places in the states that do this work but I'd rather not have to send the unit overseas. I think it's the Bosch 5.7 unit if that makes any difference.

Edited by tmase

Hi Tim,

More than likely the ABS unit at fault - causing a rogue fault code - as mine & many others Ive seen have done, although on mine it bought the lights on & dropped the speedo but showed no fault codes. I manually tested to confirm the module at fault.

Closest repairer to you that I know of is Anything Electronic in Nelson. Otherwise Powerstop Engineering in Tauranga

If unable to be repaired, as was mine, get hold of me & I will sort you out for a replacement.

Just got the module back from repair today, have just reinstalled it and have problems :(. Vehicle now goes into Trans. Failsafe Prog with the refurbed module installed, but the fault goes when the module is disconnected, ABS ASC lights still on too. Also I can't get my laptop to connect to the vehicle with the module installed to read any codes, just times out, and won't connect, but again it'll connect fine when the ABS module is disconnected. This is the same module as I sent away so it shouldn't need recoding, so I am guessing the there is an issue with the ABS module again. Does anyone have any ideas before I ring the electrical group that did the work in the morning?

Who did the repair Tim? Were they able to confirm it working after repair & clear the codes?

It looks like it is still faulty & is corrupting the car. From experience - not all of them can be repaired - mine was one.

No it will not require recoding if it is the original module. A replacement unit does though

Don't think the repairer was able to clear to clear the codes on the bench as they have asked me to test the unit in the vehicle. I guess mine is toast, but I will see if the repairer has any ideas tomorrow, and they do guarantee their work.

Thanks for the info. I checked and cleaned the wheel speed sensors in the beginning to see if that fix the issue as that was the code that was initially shown. Haven't tried the relays but will look into it now. The module is off back to the repairers for a second look tomorrow.

As a follow up, the module returned from the repairers yesterday and I got round to installing it again tonight.... and it's all go! Very pleased with the result and would be happy to recommend Anything Electronic in Nelson.