Sign in to follow this  
amdaman

High Mileage E46 M3

Hi guys,

I'm currently looking for a car for the weekend that I can have a bit of fun in. It's between an M3 or and S2000. I had a face lift S2 in the UK though so wouldn't mind something different, plus the face lift here is silly money.

There's a Phoenix Yellow M3 that keeps catching my eye, decent spec and 2004 so has the nice extras. The only 'down side' is the SMG, now i personally don't mind smg, it's nice but I've done a fair amount of research and it can bring pump problems.

If I bought that m3 I would have about 4k initially for servicing or repairs. I realise that probably isn't very much.. But I'd be topping that fund up by about 1k a week so regular servicing and inspection I and II wouldn't be an issue but I don't want it to be a money pit.

From what I can see and what the dealer has said the servicing has been regular and the mileage has been motorway miles. What do you think guys, am I being silly or should I wait for an S2000??

Resale is the other issue, surely I would get 15-17k for a 250kms M3?

Ive had both too, just bought a M3 a couple of months ago. If it was me i'd hold out to try and get a lower km one, at about 25k you can get a fairly low km M3 smg or manual. I waited for about 6 months till i found my one.

Get a manual mate definitely. There's a nice little e36 M3 on trade me that would be a fun cheap fast car. Otherwise hold out for a manual e46!

Thanks for the replies!

The one I was on about is this one

http://www.trademe.co.nz/639371523

Looks like the high mileage has come from motorway travel, I'd rather have that than low mileage short journeys? Jerry Clayton has confirmed this is a well looked after car too. I get the manual argument though, although smg was nice to drive on a twisty road (can't beat the s2 gearbox though)

I think the e36 as praised as it is a bit dated for me. I'll have to keep an eye out but the weekends are boring without a toy!!

I am selling my M3 E46 convertible. It's 2004, carbon black, it's done 135,000km.

F

ully optioned with extra carbon fibre fittings inside and out.
New WOF and rego last week. No advisories.
Recent work done:
Brand New clutch + flywheel
Brand new SMG Pump/Hydralic shifter
4 Brand new tyres (Falken 452's)
Recent factory coils put back on (I bought it with aftermarket-lowered but didn't like it).
Overall must of spent $10-12k on it getting it up to this spec...

It drives beautifully, only selling because need to put a deposit for a house.

Let me know if you are interested and can email you some pics, etc.