Sign in to follow this  
318is

Taking a BMW to Australia

Does anyone here know if it's a expensive exercise or not to take a BMW to Australia. Destination will be the Gold Coast.

Or is it more economical to sell one here and buy one over there?

Cheers

From my understanding you can not import a motor vehicle in Australia if it was sold there new.

That is why there are very few (2-3) early STI WRX's over there, 'cause the WRX model was sold new from subaru.

So I'd say no to that one as E36 318's were definitely sold new over there.

it is totally unecoomical. My parents wanted to take two vehicles over, but gave up after the first info-gathering exercise. i can't remember what hoops they had to go through, but from memory they treat the vehicle as a brand new, uncertified vehicle, and you have to go through the entire certification, registration process, and if it fails your stuffed. (Not to mention the cost of putting it through even if it does pass).

There aren't that many BMW's over there (at least in the areas I have visited), so they are probably more expensive than over here, but aussies tend to look after their vehicles alot better in general. try to buy one over there.

Thanks. I saw 12 or so when I was in the Gold Coast last year. All pretty new ones.

Sounds like I will be selling mine ( dammit ) - more research is needed.

I'm going to be buying a BMW over there if mine dosen't make it.

My brother took his Toyota Supra over there ... he manage to take it there, cert it and sell it making him self a nice $20k profit ...

Apparently even E30's are quite expensive over there still. Family came over from aussie couldn't believe I was driving round in one. They don't get jap imports on anywhere near the scale that we do.

I should of done this first. Just got off the phone with my customs broker, and it won't be a problem.

Rough costs are shipping 1500

NZ duty/customs 80

10% duty

10% Gst

registering of car ( must be done before export )

And he will pick up my car and deliver it to the wharf etc. All I need to do is pick it up in Brisbane after a ph call from him.

So - quite painless and cheap compared to buying one over there.

Low end used cars in Australia are near double the price compared with NZ equivalents.

Most stock e30 325i 's are still demanding 7k, up to 11k, and the 325iS goes for around $15k. E36 M3's are also typically over 40k (some around 35k mark).

Those are the cars I have looked at anyway, so I would recommend getting yours across if you can.

Import tariffs designed to protect Australain produced cars (Holden, Ford, Mitsi) really hold up the bottom end of the market.

i saw two e30s when i was in surfers last month and was like :( they were both rowdy as. one e36 but it was kinda ricey, nice manual, but had chromes and chrome mirrors lights etc. i reckon id put mine in storage if i go overseas lol

You will still need to comply with ADR regs though I believe.

Euro cars are very expensive over there new as they have a Luxury car tax. The reason that the residuals are still high on them.

LCT is for cars over something like 50K. - so im nowhere near that :)

Looking at some surfers car dealers, the exact same car as mine is 21K !!

It will cost me roughly $4500-00 to ship, clear, duty, gst etc mine.

I'm 90% certain I will ship it over. Maybe a nice profit in it if I sell it

:lol:

sh*t thats expensive to ship -

Doesn't cost that much to get cars from Japan.

Yeah i know - thats certing, and their dutys and taxes.

I import machinery from Japan myself, and it's no where as close to that.

Just have to suck up their pricing/taxes etc.