Sign in to follow this  
kiwi6539

Re using original sound deadening

Hi all.

I just wanted to see if anyone had ever used sound deadening from a Bmw been wrecked on another car?.

I not doing it for stereo sound quality. It's for a car I have a very loud vibration on which I can't find for the life of me. Nothing obvious.

So was thinking about getting some sound deadening from old euro car from pick apart and reusing it. To save money on expensive new stuff.

Do mind hard work and wondering if it's possible to remove from a e36 or anything else at pick apart.

And cover my fire wall and front floor pan in race car.

I seriously doubt you will solve the problem by adding more sound deadening. A vibration is a vibration & will need resolving

I didn't really explain. It's for another car that is completely stripped race car. And I searched everywhere for the loud noise.

So going to live with it. And try dampen it down a little inside cabin.

I thought the point of a race car was to remove as much weight as possible? sound deadening can get quite heavy.

Year it is. But I'm not super competitive. And it's road legal and like to take for a good drive now and then. And this vibration is extremely loud from firewall. Nothing wrong with mechanics of car just something causing it a certain revs. Makes driving it very annoying as it's very loud at certain times.

So not worried about a bit of extra weight

Original engine bay stuff wont deaden noise only heat,

original interior sound deadening will do it but will be impossible to remove and reuse,

Going for dynamat or similar will work and non name brand stuff isnt overly expensive., check for solid or hard urethane gearbox or engine mounts, these make alot of noise and dont make a massive difference to performance.

Also if factory engine mounts fail or soften it can drop the engine down onto the steering rack which makes a horrid amount of noise and vibration.

For what its worth I had a noise that was similar after the m50 went into the E30 it turned out the intake manifold would touch the brake booster at certain revs.

Also, after removing some sound deadening in the E30 there is no way i would have been able to re-use it but e36 stuff might be different?

Good luck - I know that I enjoyed driving my car 100x more once that noise/vibration was gone

Hi all

Thank you for advice.

I won't bother heading to pick a part now and buy new stuff.

The car is a 1985 ae82 gt 4age.

My daily driver is a 1989 e34 530i se manual with m30B30 6 cylinder.

Have replace worn front engine mount which was knackered. And rest I considering replacing. To see if it makes a difference feeling is it has to be caused by engine or exhaust but had on hoist a few times and can see anywhere that's hitting. To cause vibration in firewall. Gearbox is not standard but tight fit so might try it's mounts. And then pull dash apart to see if can find anything.

If it was just a little vibration I would care it's a race car but once I hit right revs mostly under deceleration it is incredibly loud.