Sign in to follow this  
arcon

E46 and mystery squeak noise

i have a reasonably loud squeaky brake noise that happens at a bizare time... basically after driving around for a bit, come to a stop... then start driving at low speed... then the noise hits. it sounds just like squealing brakes but can't be as the brakes are not being applied..? :D or even after applying the brakes and cruising at low speed, then it happens. at high speed the sound seems to dissappear... or perhaps i just can't hear it lol... its very annoying.

my mechanic couldn't find the noise but i hadn't nailed down when it happens last time i took it... anyone have any idea what this could be...?

2001 320i.

Can't be too many things imo - pads (wear or stones), check calipers are connected correctly (strange I know, but it's happened to me before), and that nothing is touching the discs under load (I'm thinking the stone shield).

thanks very much - i'll get the mech to check that when going for a wof this month :)

ok this has finally been fixed! after low speed tests was able to isolate noise to rears, RR with the constant squeal issue.. so took it to a different mech to check it out... basically i got screwed over when the rear brakes were done just over a year ago lol. cheapo pads had been installed... the pads had grooved the rotors pretty hard... skimmed rotors and replacement high quality pads on rears have eliminated the constant squeal, as well as made braking quieter in general.

ok this has finally been fixed! after low speed tests was able to isolate noise to rears, RR with the constant squeal issue.. so took it to a different mech to check it out... basically i got screwed over when the rear brakes were done just over a year ago lol. cheapo pads had been installed... the pads had grooved the rotors pretty hard... skimmed rotors and replacement high quality pads on rears have eliminated the constant squeal, as well as made braking quieter in general.

Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

I too have a squeak from somewhere towards the back of the car, bu I've no idea what it is! (Yet.)