Sign in to follow this  
leithcm

E36 - OBC & Control Module - Fault Messages Given

Hi Guys,

Got an issue with the OBC control module and the messages it gives me. For some time now it comes up and tells me there is a fault in the tail lights - sometimes immediately I turn the lights on, other times some time after the lights have been turned on. Occasionally it also tells me there is a fault with the stop lights - refer to the owners manual. Am now getting a new message; this time it is the windscreen washer fluid is low.

What have I done about this? I have taken out the tail light assemblies and cleaned all contact points etc with contact cleaner, after giving the aluminium conducting strips a good scrape etc to remove all signs of corrosion etc. I have replace all the bulbs, and checked they all have continuity. When the message has come on I have visually checked the lights - and all are working as they should. With the screen washer, even though it was still 1/4 full I topped it up with water and a screen cleaning agent. Still the messages come on. Is there something I am missing here? Any one with any bright ideas on what could be a cure?

Mine is a 01/1996 E36 coupe. The original orange tail glasses etc have been changed for clear some years ago, but it is only recently these annoying fault messages have been coming on with monotonous frequency. As soon as a bulb (genuinely) blows the resistance climbs to infinity creating a change in the circuit dynamics which triggers the message. Thinking the bulbs are on their way out (higher resistance due to filliment wear over time (inside of the glass becoming black) I changed to new fresh Natra bulbs of the correct wattage - but the message still comes.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much in advance,

Chris

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?79896-Attention-ALL-E36-owners-beware-WIRING-PROBLEM

Probably not going to be that dramatic, but there's a few theories around on tail light issues... I'd start with the wiring itself.

Edited by antil33t

Tail light or brake light error , I know when I had mine I started getting the light fault message and its the common brake light switch for the pedal that needs replacing. As for the window washer fluid I would say the sensor is naffed possibly.

Edited by M-Spec

comon faults are bad conections in the tail light bulb holders , old bulbs ,

faulty brake light switch will throw up "brake light circuit"

and washer bottle sensor faulty

Great, thanks very much guys, I will check the brake light switch at the pedal and also fluid bottle sensor.

Cheers!!