Sign in to follow this  
louistan3

e30 keys question

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out my keys.

zfipadbh.kjb.jpg

The one on the left looks to be the real/master key which works on all doors and ignition except for the locking of the driver door....

The right one works on all doors and ignition and can lock the driver door.

Now the thing is that the right key can lock the driver door only by twisting it an extra notch which looks to me is like a manual override of some sort rather than just using the central locking system.

Is there a fault here that I can fix? I assume my keys are from the same car as they work on everything..

What would the possible issue be with the master key and the driver door?

Thanks for your help!

Edited by DeepFried

Not quite sure I understand your first statement - works on all doors & ign but wont lock drivers door?

Anyway, as far as door locking - turning the key to horizontal position & removing puts the car into deadlock.

There are also (I think for E30's inc) master keys & valet keys - the master controlling everything (doors, ign, boot, glovebox), the valet allowing access to doors & ign only

Sorry for the confusing description.

So the key on the right is the only one working on the drivers door to lock via "deadlock" as you specified. Does this mean that the lock switch is broken on my drivers door?

Locking works on both keys via passenger door and trunk btw.

Hi guys,

I'm trying to figure out my keys.

zfipadbh.kjb.jpg

The one on the left looks to be the real/master key which works on all doors and ignition except for the locking of the driver door....

The right one works on all doors and ignition and can lock the driver door.

Now the thing is that the right key can lock the driver door only by twisting it an extra notch which looks to me is like a manual override of some sort rather than just using the central locking system.

Is there a fault here that I can fix? I assume my keys are from the same car as they work on everything..

What would the possible issue be with the master key and the driver door?

Thanks for your help!

http://www.billswebspace.com/BMWE30DoorPanelRemoval-LockCylinderRebuild.htm

You will need to buy a lock repair kit as per the above link or live with it.

See the above link. Inside you lock is a small ball bearing that wears out meaning you have to turn the key to the deadlock (horizontal) position to get the lock to function.

And no you can't swap your passenger lock for the drivers one. They are different

Thanks etwenty1 will buy one of those rebuild kits.

One other question though is that am i right to assume that the bigger key (left) is the master? If so, how come this cannot deadlock the door but the spare (right) can?

Thanks etwenty1 will buy one of those rebuild kits.

One other question though is that am i right to assume that the bigger key (left) is the master? If so, how come this cannot deadlock the door but the spare (right) can?

I would only be guessing but possible wear on the key(s) and/or the lock is preventing proper function. As Hotwire said, the valet option allowed for just the boot to be kept secure.

Simpler (and cheaper?) option would be fit an alarm with remotes to open/lock.

Edited by etwenty1

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll probably do the lock rebuild as suggested by etwenty1 which seems to be the right way to go though I might also consider putting an alarm for the keyless so I don't bang up the locks as well.

also the key on the right is more worn , so you may have more issues with that one , haver similer issues with a worn key in my e28