Sign in to follow this  
bretta

e70 X5 Particle Filter problem

Hi. A friend has asked if it is ok to run his 2008 e70 X5 diesel without a particle filter in the exhaust. Apparently there is a 6 week wait until they arrive in the country, as a lot have started getting clogged. He has been advised by a Ferrari owner that a lot of his friends run their cars without the particle filter. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance. Brett.

You can't just cut it out, it needs to be disabled in the ECH software. All pressure and temp sensors need to be working and in place also. If you need more info flick me a PM. I deal with DPF failures in many makes

i wouldnt trust a ferrari owners opinion when ferraris are not diesel. DPFs are very different from cats.

most failures are caused by people not regenerating them properly when prompted.

slow city driving clogs them quickly and they require occasional faster driving so the engine can up the temps and burn the crap out.

this will be indicated by either a light or matrix message which is often ignored and wrecks the dpf.

LiquiMoly sell a special product designed to clean out blocked filters, screws into the o2 sensor port and sprays in. probably only available to trade customers. so ring around workshops and see if they are avaiable.

they probably can be removed but as said before would require ecu re tuning (which may not be possible) im not sure about legalities etc.

i do 25 k each way most days.A lot of that is at the speed limit,though there are lots of traffic lights.I give mine a good rev out and full throttle at least once a week

i wouldnt trust a ferrari owners opinion when ferraris are not diesel. DPFs are very different from cats.

most failures are caused by people not regenerating them properly when prompted.

slow city driving clogs them quickly and they require occasional faster driving so the engine can up the temps and burn the crap out.

this will be indicated by either a light or matrix message which is often ignored and wrecks the dpf.

LiquiMoly sell a special product designed to clean out blocked filters, screws into the o2 sensor port and sprays in. probably only available to trade customers. so ring around workshops and see if they are avaiable.

they probably can be removed but as said before would require ecu re tuning (which may not be possible) im not sure about legalities etc.

You can but all liquimoly products from speed in Tauranga 0508 277333 they are the agent

As for DPF Cloggng, ensure car has right oil, number one cause of issues is wrong oil

yup that too.

i would be checking workshops are using a dpf safe oil (also known as a low ash oil)
it aint cheap but does the job.

Supercheap sell the penrite enviro+ range of either 5W30 or 5W40 this covers all euro car factory specs for bmw merc audi vw porsche etc etc

runs between $85 and $100 per 5l bottle, so not cheap but neither is a DPF, many dealers selling them for in excess of $10,000.

If you have to do a regeneration with additives or if its going to take a long time to do it will likely need an oil change after due to diesel contamination.

Thanks for the advice - I'll try to talk my friend into joining this, and he can get the info first hand.