Sign in to follow this  
mwa101

M40b18 Lifters

Hi,

I'm looking at getting a 318i, but the lifters are noisy, and the sound evidently doesn't disappear with acceleration or with temperature. It's in Wellington and I'm in Christchurch so I can't go and have a look at the thing. I need to know a few things:

1) how long can you drive it before munting something important? Say Wellington to Christchurch?

2) how likely is it that its just the oil rail?

3) how likely is it that it needs the head replaced?

and 4) how easy is it to get new lifters/ new head (if it comes to that)?

Cheers,

Matt

Often its caused by poor oil choice, as engine wear people go thicker on the oil but lifters often dont like it, i had a mitsi that rattled on its 20w50 oil but going back to the recomended 5w40 made it heaps quieter.

If all the rockers are rattling i wouldnt worry as its likely oil viscosity or similar, if a single rocker is making noise it may be something physically broken or a single lifter blocked up.

Would suggest looking into an oil change in welly before you leave for piece of mind and the right oil might shut it up.

if its only audible at idle its normal, if you can hear it at 50kph it may be bad.

hope something in there helps you

sweet as, thanks for that. The guy couldn't tell me when the cambelt was last changed so I'm going to pass on it this time

yea bit of a risk when its that far from home.

is this an e30?

on trademe?

i know someone who might be interested.

highly likly worn out camshaft lobes , very comon on the m40 engines.

guy at franklin cams reckon they are made from butter :)

a friend had one just like this, he was told you can fit lifters from a later model bmw 4cyl engine as they are better and would likely have less milage on them. not sure if there is any truth to that, and it doesnt help if the cam is worn