Sign in to follow this  
Arma

Brake rotors - e39 msport

Hey, what brake rotors/discs (and pads) do you e39 folks usually have running on your e39s? Mine may require replacing soon (rear ones) - Is it recommended to always go for the more expensive genuine BMW ones or are there some decent but cheaper aftermarket ones that are worth checking out? (e.g. a pair of rear rotors from here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/car-parts-accessories/bmw/brakes/auction-659527513.htm would cost me $140 NZD). Not sure how much genuine BMW ones are in NZ but it's probably a lot more that (i think?).

This is for the 530i msport.

Edited by Arma

Those rotors seem ok. I have just had front rotors ($200) and pads( $100) done. The pads are ceramic and my front wheels are spotless after 2 weeks. Apparently the ceramics are easy on rotors as well. The brake feel doesn`t have that initial bite but there is no difference in overall performance.

I would have done this a while ago if I`d known about it, I have had two e34`s and my current e39 and have always been annoyed with the dirty wheel issue.

Those rotors seem ok. I have just had front rotors ($200) and pads( $100) done. The pads are ceramic and my front wheels are spotless after 2 weeks. Apparently the ceramics are easy on rotors as well. The brake feel doesn`t have that initial bite but there is no difference in overall performance.

I would have done this a while ago if I`d known about it, I have had two e34`s and my current e39 and have always been annoyed with the dirty wheel issue.

I have tried a few types of ceramics on my E60, I was told best was going to be Akebono, however wife didnt like not having brakes when car cold, fine after heat but useless cold.

I have since gone to ATE ceramics, wheels clean at all time, good braking at all time, hotter the better.

My foot it like a lead weight, I drive hard, and hard on brakes, so far 40,000km and they are only down to about 25% on front, almost like new on rear.

Ive used the those NZAD rotors numerous times on E34's and my old E30(incl trackdays) and i can't fault them.

I have since gone to ATE ceramics, wheels clean at all time, good braking at all time, hotter the better.

Where did you source the ATE ceramic pads?

My E61 came with new disks and pads, but they are horrible squealy dusty things.

Where did you source the ATE ceramic pads?

My E61 came with new disks and pads, but they are horrible squealy dusty things.

Bm workshop stock them 09 3761250