Sign in to follow this  
Coffee&Doughnut

Strut Mounts

I am getting a lot of squeaks from the front of my E30, it is a 320i sport with M-tech suspension. My guess is that its the Shock mounts that are one of the likely culprits.

So I am looking at these ones on E-bay but I dont know if they will alter the original camber settings.

Can anyone advise me here? I would like to get adjustable camber plates but cant afford them at this stage.

Part #: 31-33-1-139-452

E30 - 318i, 325e, 325i, M3

post-6-1127896551.jpg

have never had these squeak......could easily be something else

ireland engineering has bearings that add 1/2 a degree or so of camber. camber plates should be available locally, or else ireland (bmw2002.com) or turnermotorsports.com both have em

Does the M-tech suspension set up have some kind of camber plate fitted already? Or do the E30s with non-M-tech suspension use the same type of shock mount?

The stock setting is fine to me I just dont want to replace the mounts and find things

have altered. These mounts are about $32 US each I am not in the market to pay $270 US at this point.

Guest Andrew

Does the M-tech suspension set up have some kind of camber plate fitted already? Or do the E30s with non-M-tech suspension use the same type of shock mount?

The stock setting is fine to me I just dont want to replace the mounts and find things

have altered. These mounts are about $32 US each I am not in the market to pay $270 US at this point.

All non-M cars like M325s use the standard Upper strut bearing - M cars have an offset upper strut bearing which as gus says adds around -0.5 deg camber. I have gone for camber plates as well as the offset strut bearing to get around -2.5 - 3 deg camber.

Shocks can get sqeaky - my gas bilsteins were.

Although - its probably something rubbing and squeaking in your interior.

Ok then, probally sourcing the offset bearings will aproach the cost of camber plates as the ones I am looking at on E-bay are most likely to be standard ones. Will M3 strut bearings fit? I have M3 offset bushings in the control arms.

Also if replacing front dampers which would be the best replacement in an M-tech set up Is there a particular model No. for the Bilstiens?

haven't noticed andy's old bilsteins to squeak....

get bilstein sports.....or koni SA's, both similar price.

Guest Andrew

haven't noticed andy's old bilsteins to squeak....

get bilstein sports.....or koni SA's, both similar price.

back ones do - but its so quiet.

Guest Andrew

The front dampers on the M-tech set up are Bilstiens? Is that correct?

So the Bilstien Sport would be the same ones or similar? Any difference between the two. It probally is the shocks squeaking, sounds like mice.

yes they are Bilsteins -

and they are completely different to Bilstien Sports - they are much smaller diameter wise and have very soft damping rates.

it depends what you mean by mtech setup as well

pre FL M325i's came with bilsteins

FL M325i's used Boges

and the 'mtech' setup on other cars ive seen is just springs (with m stripes) and nothing else, stock roll bars, shocks

depending how much you want to spend, use this opportunity to improve handling.....stock shocks are a waste of money, and still expensive. go aftermarket, bilstein sports or koni SA's are usually the best choice

Mine is a F/L, at the front as far as I can tell the shocks are black at the front and are much heavier looking than the rear, at least one of the springs has the pink stripe. At the rear I have yellow Sachs shocks.

The ride is smooth on good roads, but stiff and bumpy on imperfect surfaces.

I will look at replacing all four with Bilstein sports. So maybe the ride is stiff due to

the shocks losing efficiency and me not really knowing for sure if its the way its meant to be? I have only 111000ks so wasnt expecting them to be on their way out.

I spent a couple of days driving an E46 and when I got back in the E30 it felt a bit like an armoured viehcle.

Guest Andrew

probably after 17 years of being in the car - the springs and shocks are pwned.

If you don't want firm - don't get bilstien sports.