Sign in to follow this  
E46 Liam

E46 M3 Differential Output Seal Replacement

Hi All,

I have a seal on my rear diff which needs to be replaced, It is the right output seal. It is not dripping oil, but oil is defiantly seeping out. How hard is it to replace these seals? is there anything to be wary of or tricks which make the job alot easier. I have got a quote to do this work and it was Huge, so I will be carrying this work out myself over the next week or two.

Just interested to see if anyone else has had to do this and what their results were.

post-51273-0-59133200-1386625500_thumb.j

Piece of piss to do ... very simple. If you know how to turn a few nuts and bolts and know how to bang in a seal then you'll be fine. You don't even need to drain the diff oil (you'll lose a little bit but not a huge amount that you can't top up later.)

If that one is leaking the main seal will probably leak soon also - that one is a little more involved but not too bad (just more stuff to remove in contrast to this one which is bugger all)

I did mine on jack stands without much issues.

outputshaft_zpscf907fb1.jpg

outputshaftflange_zps15726f1a.jpg

outputshaftseal_zps45a54828.jpg

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

Wicked thanks Tom, so you can replace it without removing the Diff? Jerry clayton on the shore quoted me over 600 to do this which is nuts when you consider the parts only cost about $80. Im going to get my mate to help out anyway, he's mechanic so i don't see this being a major.

Thanks for the instructions too.

Wicked thanks Tom, so you can replace it without removing the Diff? Jerry clayton on the shore quoted me over 600 to do this which is nuts when you consider the parts only cost about $80. Im going to get my mate to help out anyway, he's mechanic so i don't see this being a major.

Thanks for the instructions too.

Hmmmm that quote does sound a bit more than I remembered something like this to cost. Try Peter at Team McMillan or Ray at HellBM if you don't want to get your hands dirty.

Diff stays in .... If memory serves the left one you might have to remove one section of the exhaust, but the right one you should be fine with just dropping the shock.

I did the whole thing on my own at home .. although I had access to the correct BMW seal insert tools which made it a bit easier. But nothing a correct sized socket can't do LOL.

Just remember don't jack up your car from the diff or the diff cover - but on the jacking point on the front of the rear subframe.

Here's a few photos I took of the input shaft seal (which is a lot harder to do)

72337_10151556985014664_1304367414_n_zps

578350_10151556983904664_378501740_n_zps

544248_10151558969124664_1149995850_n_zp

313360_10151566504649664_264892989_n_zps

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 1

I perfectly happy with dirty hands. The quote was high cause they were going to drop the diff out to change the seal.

You mentioned that you have to drop the shock? Where did you undo it from?

Make sure you do not press the seal in too far - I had mine done by a dealer (input and output seals) and they pressed them in too far - major leakage - search the M3forum for more info - more info on my issue containe here

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/37133-m3-make-over/

Thanks Paul, What oil did you use to Re Fill the Diff after you had changed the seals?

You mentioned in your thread about subframe cracks? Where would I look when under the car to see if there is any issues on my car in terms of this?

I perfectly happy with dirty hands. The quote was high cause they were going to drop the diff out to change the seal.

You mentioned that you have to drop the shock? Where did you undo it from?

No dropping of diff needed that's for sure.

Just the bottom bolt from memory to allow the dummy shafts to swing down.

Make sure you do not press the seal in too far - I had mine done by a dealer (input and output seals) and they pressed them in too far - major leakage - search the M3forum for more info - more info on my issue containe here

http://bimmersport.co.nz/topic/37133-m3-make-over/

That's pretty useless if a dealership fitted the seals and pressed them too far ... the factory seal insert tools are basically idiot proof!! I can't see (if they have used one) how they could accidentally press them too far!! At least anyone competent enough working on it would have taken the measurement of how far it sat before pulling the old seal out (or checked the specs!!)

Thanks Paul, What oil did you use to Re Fill the Diff after you had changed the seals?

You mentioned in your thread about subframe cracks? Where would I look when under the car to see if there is any issues on my car in terms of this?

Not sure what oil was used - dealer did the job. Tom's your man for sub-frame cracking comment but it is the right hand rear mount area that is the problem - search M3forum for (endless) information on the subject. Can be easily inspected from under the car/in the boot - very rare problem

No dropping of diff needed that's for sure.

Just the bottom bolt from memory to allow the dummy shafts to swing down.

That's pretty useless if a dealership fitted the seals and pressed them too far ... the factory seal insert tools are basically idiot proof!! I can't see (if they have used one) how they could accidentally press them too far!! At least anyone competent enough working on it would have taken the measurement of how far it sat before pulling the old seal out (or checked the specs!!)

You are totally right Tom but to their (Jeff Gray - Palmerston) credit they drove 200km and picked up the car - trailered it to Palmy and fixed it. Especially impressive since I had removed the diff for them to do the work - I was wrapped with the service

What oil does the rear diff on an e46 m3 require? I am going to replace the seal this week and want to know what oil i should use to refill the diff?

SAF-XJ with FM Booster

BMW Part number 83 22 2 282 583 - comes in a 3 pack box (you'll need about 1.3litres - so just over 2.5 bottles).

IMAG0673_zpsyyjoiiv8.jpg

IMAG0672_zpsudm6bqrn.jpg

Edited by M3_Power

Thanks guy for your help, I replaced the seal on saturday without any issue, We did it at my mates workshop which made it alot easier. Hardest part of the whole operation was inserting the new seal into the diff.

Checked the oil too and it was still at the full mark and very clean so there was no need to add or change it.

hey guys really sorry to hit up an old thread.. i saw tom's presence here, thought I'd best get his advice.

so woke up to an slight shock this morning a slight leak on the m3's diff input shaft :( absolutely gutted as I've always practiced preventative maintenance and replaced parts just on an assumption of age etc etc (the m3's a late 05 CS build) haven't driven the car for 3 weeks now and this is the first time I've been caught out ..car's been absolutely pristine otherwise, drove it a lot through 2013 and it's been brilliant!! probably the best M car that's been in the family

My question was while planning to do the input shaft seal, should I be looking at doing the left and right output seals??

I'll be visiting Ray from HellBM on Monday morning so I'll probably let his team handle the work, diffs are a big no no for me, I'm not keen to touch them really, engine's I don't mind pulling apart but diffs present a different obstacle haha

Thanks for any input guys :)