Sign in to follow this  
Mr2low

Towing car

So I need to get the 540 to vinz which is approx 5ks 50km roads, as it's an auto I know you shouldn't tow them but do I really have to flat bed it for 5 kms

I think if you put them in neutral and the hand break down you should be able to tow them, 5 Km is not that much dude. Just be careful towing behind another car. (the steering wheel locks without the keys in)

I think you'll find if you do a NZTA search, that legally, yea legally, you can drive it there Jamie, so long as you are taking the most direct route for inspection purposes. As a hint to help if need be, make sure it is 'pre-booked' there first............. ;)

Crash Services will charge ya a arm & a leg, & then bend ya over for a good time too - if ya get stuck let me know & I'll help ya out no worries........ ;)

• Like 1

Not gonna risk driving it it's only down one road but it just couldn't take the risk n don't particularly wana fork out $100ish bucks for 10mins gonna take longer to get it in n off tow truck lol

Used manawatu towing for the kapiti to palmy trips $350 per trip

And no has to be towed can't be driven

Edited by Mr2low

Ouch - that's nearly $3 per km!!! I can get stuff down from Aukland for that!!! If you're not game to drive it, then yea, just tow it - 5kms won't hurt it. And as b4, if ya want a hand.....

So why can't you just drive it there???

• Like 1

Ahhh so no plates. Pretty sure it's still illegal to tow it, needs to be trucked. Or just drive it. That's what I'd do.

Needs to be re licenced u aren't allowed to drive it it has to be towed

just drive it, like after 9AM. its only 5KM. Put some plates on and drive as usual. If I were near you, I would take it down for you. If the poo poo stop you 99% they wont. You tell them its being taken to a garage, trust me, most cops don't know the law. they just make it up as they go along. I have been driving in NZ for like 10 years now. And I have done some stupid mistakes, never had a ticket. But noticed my friends got pulled over for nothing but looking at a cop the wrong way since the cop didn't signal. Cops either really like me and go buddy buddy or they just dont. lol.

I have driven cars with no rwof, no ego, or rego on hold for years and have had cop cars pass me by, once I was in this car with a friend from auckland, we just finished the work on the transmission and we went for a drive at sunset around the local uni. Cop car passes us by and I pretend to talk to my friend like we dont even care if its a cop in front of us. We get out of the place a while later and push the car in a lone street, everything goes smooth so we get back on the 50 road on way back its the same cop he sees us cursing by him, he pulls his poooo pooo siren he trys to make a U turn but cant since cars are just coming off the motor war into the 50 zone, by the time he makes a U turn, we had already disappeared from the main road into a nearby ally and from there back home through some little twisty roads. Went the next day and got a wof & rego 6 KM away. It helps to f&*k a cops daughter, sister or his wife. I wouldn't mind helping you with that either if I was closer by.

Just drive it man. :P

Edited by MoJoJoe

Where to go for vehicle inspections

There are around 3200 WoF agents in New Zealand. Look in the Yellow Pages (external link) to find your nearest agent.

It's illegal to drive a vehicle…
  • If it doesn't meet WoF requirements.
  • If it doesn't display a valid WoF label.

You can drive your vehicle on the road under these circumstances only when taking it somewhere for repair or to get a new WoF – and it's safe to do so.

http://www.nzta.govt.nz/vehicle/warrants-certifications/getting-wof/about.html

cevat empor

Edited by JoKer

i have been told idling the car in neutral will stop the gearbox being damaged. keeps fluid flowing around. not sure but sounds legit

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

Yes.......^^^^^ I agree...........& a good point. 5km even with motor off should be fine at low speed though too, specially on a ZF box.......

Automatic-transmission cars:
1. Set the selector lever to N
2. Maximum towing speed:
70 km/h (approx. 43 mph)
3. Maximum towing distance:
150 km (approx. 93 miles).
Pulled from the manual.
  • Like 1