Sign in to follow this  
ntaylor90

M50 318ti trans help

Hey all!

I successfully completed an m50/manual conversion into my 318ti a few months ago. It ran really well for a while, but I began to get a chirping noise, almost like a bird/a high pitched squeal (not excessively loud) that would only happen for 1/2 a second as I engaged my clutch, or under coasting in gear. No noise at all in neutral, and it would only when the car was moving (wouldn't do it at standstill if I began to let my clutch out).

It always concerned me a little bit, and I put it down to a 'on it's way out' throw-out bearing.

Recently it has gotten a tiny bit worse (not drastically), and now I can occasionally hear a bit of a squeal when accelerating in gear. It also only seems to happen between 10-60kph, any lower or higher and there is no discernible noise. I imagine I'm just getting closer to failure of the bearing. I am planning to change to a racing clutch/solidflywheel in the near future anyway, so was just going to kind of 'run it till it breaks'.

Just wanting some opinions as to what it could be, if you've experienced something similar.

Cheers

Edited by BimmerNick

Clutch thrust bearing would be my thoughts too, unless the noise is not being picked up properly at times. As ya probably know though, not all those symptoms you've noted point to thrust bearing being the cause.....

As something really odd-ball - could also be crank 'thrust' too I suppose.....

Weirdly enough I'm beginning to think it might actually be my driveshaft centre support bearing. It's definitely not coming from engine and sounds like it is coming from backside of the trans, near the guibo. If the bearing is worn out, under acceleration/deceleration and changes in load due to gear changes, this could cause movement in the driveshaft? I'm gonna put it up and check it out.

sounds like it might be the hanger as you say.
this is why i would have done the clutch etc while the engine was out as its much easier than pulling the box out later