Sign in to follow this  
aw-krazy

Manual conversion

looking at the option of turning my auto 95 328i into a manual?

wanting to know who here can do them and the overall price?

Sick of having to drive the auto like a manual :(

thanks!

I think its around $1500 drive in auto, drive out manual.

Regardless of whomever you choose to get it done from.

MAKE SURE THEY INSTALL NEW BUSHINGS AND EVERY THING.

Cheers! im soooooo dead keen! followed by a decent exhaust system :D decatted on my 328i just doesnt sound right..

forget the exhaust, get a m50 mani, get a m3 us s52 cams, get a software to flash the car system, to maximize the hp gain and minimize the low end torque from the m50 manifold mod. Thats what I heard. anyway nno need for a thousand dollar custom tune, there is a preloaded software like shark injector I think from some US shops. look up their forums.. You plug it in your car, it installs the software in like half an hour.

= 220WHP, Thats like 250 - 260HP at the crank, No kidding.. most people dont do the cam swap because well its a PIA for most people, also to get a hold of them without the whole motor, but you can get them uf you look around the right places. Then if you stroke the motor you can get even more power but I dont think I can be bothered going that far. Theer are other mods like BBTB, CAI, Headers and Exhaust but they wont gain you more then 5 - 10 HP max. Do the Manifold, and cams and chip. Maybe ad an LSD. Thats it. You wont need anything more.

since you are getting a stick you will benifit more. I was thinking to convert to stick before I parked my car near allans house, in a ditch. got some rear quarter pannel damage thats all. otherwise cars fine. So now looking for a 328i. You aren't selling by chance are you? Maybe buy a stick to begin with and let me have yours? I wont mind an auto and was planning to leave NZ in a few years time so would give it back to the community for a good price. Sell it to me?? :D

Edited by MoJoJoe

thanks for the tips was contemplating on the m50 mani, but few people on this forum said to stick with the m52 one because of loss low end torque and not being enough of a gain top end, but yes i have been on the lookout for some nice cams and then getting it chipped!

aw man hope the damage isn too serious, i know what its like. Last year i stupidly left my car at the top of a steep driveway in neutral handbrake down and ran into the house and heard a massive thump. Car went through the house. dented my nose panel and hood, "Never take on an e34" lol

but nope hehe e36 has been my project all year long and plan to do alllooooooot to it still, have a little ask around im sure someone would point you in the direction of a good example 328i

• Like 1

$1500 might be a bit on the cheap side. Most kits usually sell for around a grand depending on whether ZF or Getrag, plus new clutch & flywheel ($1100+) puts you at at least $2000. Plus the right ratio diff ($350ish if open, up to $1100 if LSD) and then add labour in over that.

You can cut corners and use the auto diff if you can tolerate your highway RPM at 3100 ish, it drove me nuts so I went for a 3.15, and rebuilt it with an LSD pumpkin.

Can be done for parts cost if you're handy with spanners and don't mind a bit of frustration. I found the job relatively straightforward, just pays to get your kit from a known reputable source. Main things you'll need are long (500mm) socket extensions, a good high lift jack, good stands & a set of torx sockets. Invest in a good quality torque wrench too. Both Brent & Ray will be able to sell you good parts at good prices.