Sign in to follow this  
louistan3

e30 Clunking sound and stutter.

Hi guys,

Wondering if anybody here can help me with something I just recently noticed on my car.

Car is a PFL e30 320i pretty much stock. It started making a clunking sound when I'm idling on neutral.

When i press on the clutch pedal, it goes away. At the same time I got stuttering issues when i release the gas pedal, the rpm's dip and then come back.

Is this a vacuum leak (the stuttering)? if so, is this also the cause of the clunking? I just found it weird that these issues came up at the same time (just a couple of days ago).

If anybody has an idea, i would be grateful. FYI, I do also have a headgasket oil leak which I'm thinking might not be related but thought i should mention it.

Video link here so you can hear the clunk and stutter:

http://youtu.be/2LHTTD4ngrI

Thanks Chris, isn't the release bearing part of the clutch replacement? I was hoping to ride my clutch longer as I didn't want to spend the money now... Is it ok to keep using it like that?

doesn't sound like 6 cylinders to me

So is that bad? I thought you said it was the release bearing? :wacko:

At present (especially if this is more than the release bearing) would it be wise to consider doing an engine swap as I will be getting my headgasket plus top end pretty much "overhauled" as well anyway, seems like a lot of issues that would be more cost effectively fixed by a whole swap?

I just did a big engine swap and manual conversion. Messed about with my knackered old engine for so long. Ended up spending as much trying to fix the old motor as just buying a new one and putting in I think. Plus the new one has only 132 000ks You might find it better just getting a good deal on a replacement engine. Just make sure the compression is okay and its never been over heated and all of that stuff.

Thanks sierra. Im now considering just taking the engine out and rebuilding it. I really want to keep it original but also have the hankering for more power. So still undecided.

What engine did you put in yours?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

It could be this and it could be that mentality is probably just going to put you crook and cost you money, especially if your car is needed for daily use. I had a look at your video and honestly I have no clue, but could be a vacuum leak of some kind (the revs dropping off) and the clunking may even be a bad knock of some kind which could be a big job. I just replaced my 2 litre with another 2 litre as I got a good deal and had to get the car working, its a shame I couldn't get a 325i one but if you have the time you could get a hold of one which would give you a nice power increase plus a nice fresh working motor