Sign in to follow this  
ducatiss

E30 320i Auto Diff

Like the last guy, I have a diff ratio question, but instead of reving high I have the opposite problem. I have a E30 320i with 4 speed auto and I find that at 100km/h its only turning at about 2200 - 2300 rpm - on changing down into 3rd the revs jum to about 3500rpm at the same speed. It seems like the cars way out of its preferred rev range at that speed as once you get up to about 140 its much happier but of course I do want to keep my license!! Any ideas or ppl who have a similar setup to me who have improved things?

a 5spd?

you probably wont find a much higher diff than what is already in there (of course i depends, if its a 3.64 there a plenty higher, but if its anything over 4 i would bother changing)

or just put that 2.5 in!

You could easily put in a high ratio diff to lift your revs, having it as it is will make your acceleration pretty woeful but your economy fairly decent, but of course your best solution would be to stick a 5spd

Edited by ///Carl