Sign in to follow this  
MoJoJoe

Spark Plugs and General Maintenance

I am finally going to be doing some general maintenence on my e36 1995 328i (150kms) in the next 2 weeks. Will be using some degreser to clean out the engine bay from the grease, oil and blood, replacing the spark plugs out with new ones, new oil filter, reoil the air filter, address the oil leaks abd gaskets, install the m50 manifold and and anyother other mechanical issues I can think of.

Following which I will be installing my Xbrace, Exhaust setup, and have my wheel with curb marks repainted white. then rework on my interior and C panels and call it a day.

So Questions

What spark plugs do I need and whats the size for the M52 motor? (I know its BOSH Platinum)

How much and what kind of engine oil should I use (its got 150km's on it)

What are the common Oil Leak Locations? From the oil around the top of the engine, I notice the valve Cover Gasket needs to be replaced. What else? The whole oil filter housing gasket and the dipstick o ring? Should Milland have all the gaskets and o rings?

Whatst he easiest way to clean up the engine bay from oil and grease so I can tell the oil leak? I am planing to take out the front bumper and put the car on ramps and go under it, look for any missing bolts and then and spray the degreaser and then wash down later with a hose.

please add to anything I may be missing. thanks

Edited by MoJoJoe

Bkr6equp from ngk. Not cheap but they work the best.

Keep coil packs in order so they go back where they came from

Sent from my GT-I8160L using Tapatalk 2

And i have usually used pebrite full synthetic 5/40 or 10/50. Both meet bmw ll01 grade

How about using Beru Platinum? Milland said they are the Beru equivalent of the BKR6EQUP?

Never used beru before. Cant say ive seen them either. Bkr6equp are on the shelf at supercheap $185.70 for a set of 6.

Never used beru before. Cant say ive seen them either. Bkr6equp are on the shelf at supercheap $185.70 for a set of 6.

you can get them from ebay for like $80NZD and on trademe for around $140. Quite tempting..

And i have usually used pebrite full synthetic 5/40 or 10/50. Both meet bmw ll01 grade

Ya, I use penrite10/50 in mine. Also, people will advise against it, but I used a water blaster on my engine. Worked a treat with no ill effects.

I have usually used degreaser and just ran water over it to rinse. On a couple of cars ive then had to dry out dizzys or plugs which isnt great but they were hondas so who cares

I was thinking to order the Bkr6equp from ebay as the price is 1/3 ~ 1/2 of that in NZ. But nowhere did I see if they are compatible with the 1995 M52/328i motor found in my e36?? I mean is the size correct? they only list 1996 + M3's. Are they the same size and everything? is there any "gap settings" or just regular torque down do?

Otherwise how are bosh platinum ones? I hear they are pretty popular in the US? They also can be had for pretty cheap in trademe and even cheaper in ebay.

anybody here mind using the NGK BKR6EK?? I see a lot of people use them in the us, they are 2 prong and dirt cheap, down side you change them more often

Edited by MoJoJoe

I have the Bosch platinum pus ones (about $100 from SC) they do what they are supposed to do but no real difference from the OEM BMW ones apart from maybe longevity. Maybe doing the Vanos seals while you are doing the plugs and rocker gasket will save you a job later as more than likely that is due/near due, also a tip i got off here is using WD40, rags and a toothbrush instead of degreaser to clean the engine bay works awesome.

• Like 1

Ive always gone ngk on my beemers, as some have reported problems with the bosch.

The Bkr6equp is an excellent plug, and is very long lasting.

It is the one I buy for my 6cyl.

I use degreaser and a hose to clean my engines. Sometimes it needs to be done twice but almost never requires any scrubbing.

Just keep away from the cat sensors (although you may not have any on your e36).