Sign in to follow this  
Ahmedsinc

E39 keys

Further to sonic_attacks dramas with sorting a new key for his E34 it's got me thinking about the keys for the 530 wagon. Picked up the car on Friday, Jap import with only one key. What I'm wondering, is would it be possible to retrofit the locks & EWS module from the NZ new '02 530i I have downstairs as the parts car? Obviously I'll need the EWS coded to suit the different VIN, but what else would be involved in such a swap? There is a possibility I can get the other keys from the previous owner, if he still has them.

Is it as straightforward as swapping lock barrels and modules + recoding? I have an idea the IR receiver is the ugly red boil on the underside of the rear view mirror, where is the RF receiver on the NZ cars? Is the wiring loom the same between Euro and Jap cars? Or am I opening a can of worms that would best be left undisturbed?

Gut feeling tells me the simplest & easiest course will be to go through Ross @ BMWorkshop or expresskeys and just get a second one to suit what we already have, but the pile of parts downstairs has got me thinking............

Cheers! :D

Can of worms Matt. I wouldn't go there. Much as I don't like the Jap IR locking.