Sign in to follow this  
nutter

E30 M318i Manual

Hey there

Im selling the e30 M318i Manual thats beeing sitting for the last 2 years in a factory. it runs fine and shifts good, car is dereged and is the Gold/Brown colour(Pics will be up tomorrow with all KM and details)

I am looking at $800 for the car or trade for a manual conversion kit for a E34 525i M50B25

i have a set of 17" Rims as well(pic will be up tomorrow) 2 tyres are ok the other 2 not so good, the rims have curbing hence the price $150

i have a 1 Clear e46 front indecator and 1 right amber one $20 each

i have both E46 Front Fog lights Clear $50 each

all photos will be up tomorro when i find my camera

Thansk Gareth

Edited by nutterbutter
  • Like 1

The gearbox, flywheel and starter from your E30 will all bolt up to the M50 engine. You could just use those and then youd just need a pedal box, crossmember, driveshaft and selectors to finish the conversion

• Like 1

The gearbox, flywheel and starter from your E30 will all bolt up to the M50 engine. You could just use those and then youd just need a pedal box, crossmember, driveshaft and selectors to finish the conversion

True is there a tread up about this sorta swap? so i can try sus out what shaft,Crossmember and selector i need as Clutch line and Master and slave i can get new. thanks for that info BTW

You should just need a crossmember from a manual e34, the selectors might just be a different length easy enough for an engineer to change the length. Drive shaft im unsure on, again length will be different but im not sure if the output flanges are the same, could have one made from half the E30 drive shaft and half your e34 auto driveshaft easy enough.

Just be aware that using a custom driveshaft will require hoops and certification, on top of the +/- $600 cost of having the shaft made by an engineer. As opposed to using unmodified OEM parts which do not require a cert. Chances are, if you can find someone with the gearbox crossmember you'll also find the right OEM driveshaft. M20 / 40 boxes will mate up to the M50 but the shifter linkages will need to be bent around a bit, otherwise your shifter will sit at an awkward angle. Plenty of info on Google listing the pros and cons of such a swap.

Good luck!

The gearbox sits at the same angle between the M40 and M50, the swap requires a cert for swap even if you go with the OEM parts but it just makes it easier to hide with an OEM driveshaft

The gearbox sits at the same angle between the M40 and M50, the swap requires a cert for swap even if you go with the OEM parts but it just makes it easier to hide with an OEM driveshaft

i think he was meaning if you kept same engine, it doesn't need it.

i.e. my stock 325i having a manual gearbox swapped in does not require a cert

you would be needing a cert for an engine conversion anyways.

i think he was meaning if you kept same engine, it doesn't need it.

i.e. my stock 325i having a manual gearbox swapped in does not require a cert

you would be needing a cert for an engine conversion anyways.

Technically because he will need to replace the crossmember with one from a manual he will need a cert, unless he can mount the manual box to the auto crossmember with out altering it then a cert is needed.

Hmm, all the documentation I read with regards to a manual conversion via the LVVTA site led me to believe that as long as all parts were OEM WITHOUT any modification then a cert was not required. Naturally if a custom driveshaft or modified xmember etc were necessary then certification would be needed. Plus I had a good long chat with my local WoF guy (who also builds some rather 'interesting' cars himself - 1UZFE into a WRX to name but one) and he confirmed the above as being true.

That being said, I have not changed the engine from its factory equipped M50B25. Yet :ph34r:

Yes, the gearbox does sit at the same position on the engine, but doesn't the M50 sit at a greater angle in the engine bay relative to the M40/20? Hence the need to bend the shifter linkage so the lever isn't on the pi**? :)

Ya ive read the documentation online, it'd all depend on how bad of a day your wof inspector was having i wouldn't be failing it if it was all BMW manufactured bits used. Our local LVV cert guy says differently, but i think he just wants more work.

The m50 and m40 angle is the same its the m20 that leans at a different angle.

• Like 1

Ya ive read the documentation online, it'd all depend on how bad of a day your wof inspector was having i wouldn't be failing it if it was all BMW manufactured bits used. Our local LVV cert guy says differently, but i think he just wants more work.

The m50 and m40 angle is the same its the m20 that leans at a different angle.

Lol, things a bit slow in the HB for certifiers these days then? ;) Ahhh, now that's making more sense. Would open up quite a few more options for gearing too!

No cert is needed for manual conversion. When they say no modification to the gearbox gross member, they mean that the physical crossmember hasn't been cut and welded etc. Simply mounting the crossmember onto the car is not considered modification of the crossmember.

Hey there

Im selling the e30 M318i Manual thats beeing sitting for the last 2 years in a factory. it runs fine and shifts good, car is dereged and is the Gold/Brown colour(Pics will be up tomorrow with all KM and details)

I am looking at $800 for the car or trade for a manual conversion kit for a E34 525i M50B25

Did you decide to sell the 318?

Thanks Ian