Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

E65 Phone systems

Anyone out there on this internet thing that knows anything about the phone installed on the E65. Obviously I have a cell phone but the car doesn't have bluetooth. What I need to do to get the car working is put the SIM card in the dash and the phone will work but would like to use the same number that I already have? Is this possible?

Cheers.

If the car doesn't have Bluetooth wouldn't it be technically illegal to use the inbuilt phone whilst driving anyway?

Yup, it has a cordless phone but also works with hands-free as well.

simple answer. No.

You cannot get duplicate sim cards.

Most people just fit parret bluetooth kits that wire into the early idrive.

You used to be able to get a duplicate "carphone" SIM from Vodafone but they stopped that a few years back.

Another option is the Bluetooth upgrade module (P/n:84-11-0-410-145).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-2003-2004-2005-BMW-3-5-6-7-Series-X3-X5-BTUM-Bluetooth-Module-Adapter-/171247956367?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27df2c718f

You're on Vodafone still?

Callforwarding? just get a cheap sim and keep some credit on it and have it forwarding to that number if you don't answer your primary phone.

You're on Vodafone still?

Callforwarding? just get a cheap sim and keep some credit on it and have it forwarding to that number if you don't answer your primary phone.

Yes Mike lol.

That sounds like a plan. Only issue is outgoing calls though, I have unlimited minutes on my plan.

Edited by The Diesel Guy

Sorted, I've added that $19 dollar deal on my Vodafone, 100 minutes free which I'd struggle to use up to be honest.

Diverted calls don't deduct from included minutes if I recalled correctly, it charges as if they are overages on the line diverted out.

Bit late now but I have a BMW BTUM kit that I bought on ebay lying around in the garage that I could sell you ... never ended up installing it as sold the car.

You used to be able to get a duplicate "carphone" SIM from Vodafone but they stopped that a few years back.

Another option is the Bluetooth upgrade module (P/n:84-11-0-410-145).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-OEM-2003-2004-2005-BMW-3-5-6-7-Series-X3-X5-BTUM-Bluetooth-Module-Adapter-/171247956367?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item27df2c718f

is that the one where if you near the car it would ring the car but if you away from the car your mobile rings?

Bit late now but I have a BMW BTUM kit that I bought on ebay lying around in the garage that I could sell you ... never ended up installing it as sold the car.

Forgive the ignorance but what does that part do sorry? Does it Bluetooth your phone or?

It is a designed for 7 series built Jan 03 till Feb 05. You insert the unit into the cradle instead of the phone and then pair it like a Bluetooth devise. Then all the buttons in the car should work. Basically it tricks the car to thinking you have inserted a phone into your car cradle but really it is a transmitter that you pair with and then you can pair your phone with the car through the transmitter.

Since you are known here, happy to send to you to try if interested. It is new and cost me $US 250

Here is the manual which explains it ...

www.obliquedesign.com/bmw-auto/media/BTUM_Web_011106.pdf

Edited by RvT

is that the one where if you near the car it would ring the car but if you away from the car your mobile rings?

The Bluetooth Module just swaps out the existing handset for a Bluetooth receiver that allows you to pair your mobile phone like any other system.

It is a designed for 7 series built Jan 03 till Feb 05. You insert the unit into the cradle instead of the phone and then pair it like a Bluetooth devise. Then all the buttons in the car should work. Basically it tricks the car to thinking you have inserted a phone into your car cradle but really it is a transmitter that you pair with and then you can pair your phone with the car through the transmitter.

Since you are known here, happy to send to you to try if interested. It is new and cost me $US 250

Here is the manual which explains it ...

www.obliquedesign.com/bmw-auto/media/BTUM_Web_011106.pdf

Awesome. I've pm'd you Ron.

The Bluetooth Module just swaps out the existing handset for a Bluetooth receiver that allows you to pair your mobile phone like any other system.

Understand that.i was referring to earlier times when carphones first appeared.I beleive you could have the same vodaphone number,that if the carphone was active it would ring,but if thr carphone was off your brick would ring

Oh yes, that's right.

Telecom used to have a "Tandem" system too. When someone called your primary number it would ring 5 times then switch to the tandem number and then finally to voicemail. If you set up your car phone as your primary phone then it worked quite well, if you left your cell as the primary phone then you had to remember to turn it off every time you got in the car.

Oh yes, that's right.

Telecom used to have a "Tandem" system too. When someone called your primary number it would ring 5 times then switch to the tandem number and then finally to voicemail. If you set up your car phone as your primary phone then it worked quite well, if you left your cell as the primary phone then you had to remember to turn it off every time you got in the car.

I do remember such a thing. The cars that it supported are still around mostly. Why get rid of it?.

I do remember such a thing. The cars that it supported are still around mostly. Why get rid of it?.

E39 for example.i guess there is no demand.