Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

Transmission issue?

OK this is my second E36 and I've had it two weeks and a day. It's now doing the same thing my first one did - first gear sounds & acts like a dead cat. It doesn't pull quite like it should and when it changes to 2nd, it seems to hang for a couple of seconds and then jerks its way there. It's especially bad when cold, though I can minimise the jerk by being very restrained with the accelerator until it changes to 2nd.

Once it's warmed up it's fine & it doesn't jerk, but my last one eventually developed that behaviour even when warm, if you tried to push it relatively hard in first. So I'm guessing the new one will go that way too eventually.

The question is: is this the start of something bad, or does it just need a service? Two of the three other E36s I test-drove showed the same behaviour; the other one was already warmed up at the time so it may well have been the same. Do I need to worry about this and can I sort it out myself? THe car's only done 70k, and the last one was showing it at 55 already.

Cheers

Edited by a13antichrist

hmmm.. could be. It was doing it before the service though, not jsut since. Apparently the trans in these are due to be serviced at 80k..

Edited by a13antichrist

Sounds like Trans Fluid change is due.

Normal service don't usually touch the transmission.

After researching my 'when cold first and second gears drag out' syndrome, I came to the conclusion that it's there to stop a driver from rooting the tranny and or engine when COLD.

Even the BMW manual states that the tranny will hold onto first, second gear longer than normal when cold.

As for the jerking into gear -- thats different. Just try and let the tranny do its thing when cold, and it should pass when warm. Mine is smooth as when warm, can hardly feel a change in gear all the way through to top. Cold 1st does drag out somewhat.

It's a electronic whatsitmagig I have been told by several BMW places, and tranny savvy people.

I wouldn't worry about it at this stage, however, if these symptoms persit or get worse HOT, you may have to start thinking about the state of the tranny.

Mine does the same thing and I've just gone over the 150km mark. I just take off in 'snow' mode in thr mornings which takes off in 2nd and keeps the revs low until it warms up. Then it's smooth as gravy :rolleyes: Am looking to have the gearbox oil changed soon though as it's coming up to summer where I do a lot of open road long distance drives.

It feels like there's a dead hamster stuck inside the transmission gates or something. I mean it's really hard to convince people of the superiority of German engineering when it lurches forward on each gear change. Frankly it's embarassing, I might expect such behaviour from a 20yr old bomb but not from a next-to-new BMW.

Give me your full chassis number, PM me, and i'll check out the BMW recall campains, and known issues with the tranny in your car. It may be a known problem, with a bmw freebie fix.....

who knows at this stage.

Guest Andrew

Tried to work out what you meant in my own car - Not having any issues here - tranny fluid is scum but getting changed tommorow.

56ks.