Sign in to follow this  
728besitzer

another brake question

I took my car in to mechanics and they rubbed their finger over the hot brake disc rotor and advised they could tell that it is warped. Now, is this for real? Is it that easy to tell??

Assuming I get front discs replaced (I think the days of machining or reconditioning are over?) does this mean the front brake pads must also be replaced?

Is their any benefit to machining genuine BMW discs vs new discs, apart from saving $100 per corner?

Is their any benefit to replacing also the back discs at the same time, even if the back discs are fine?

I am not being cheap here, just want to know what is genuinely necessary... and in my other thread want to know if any quality aftermarket discs are available in NZ... as many companies supply BMW and are available under their own names, in addition to just 'BMW'.

Thanks again.

They could tell if they are glazed up. Warped needs to be spun around with a gauge attached.

If yoybare doing pads get them skimmed. Especially if they have lots if life left. Otherwise shop around you can get new rotors at quite reasonable prices now

Thanks... any recommendations for proper OEM or quality alternatives? I don't want made in China rubbish. Many brand names being sold here in NZ are names I have never heard of before... which is of concern as I don't want crap brakes for obvious reasons. Sofar the best price I have found is $165 + GST each for original factory discs. I am open to cheaper alternatives for quality suppliers such as Febi Bilstein, Zimmermann, EBC, Bosch, Brembo... just hard to track down... On ebay you can get back and front Zimmermann discs (ie 4 discs), with back and front brake pads and sensors... for a puney NZD380 plus postage ($150)... for the same set of genuine BMW parts its NZD 1500 !! The same genuine BMW parts from a dealer in the UK is NZD 800 plus postage (NZD150)... would rather pay small markup and support NZ business... but the price points seem to be ridiculous... any ideas who can supply what I need without the ludicrous markups?