Sign in to follow this  
Massnz

E36 Idle Control Valve

Hey Guys

Just a quick question on the Idle Control Valve for an M52b28.

I have mine out at the moment and when I shake it, the actuator has a lot of play. Is this normal? A small amount of shaking can cause the actuator to click back and forth from completely open to closed.

this is what you want . not locked up

Edited by Brent HARTGE535i

Sweet thanks for clearing that up Brent. I had cleaned it a while back with some TB cleaner, however i am just troubleshooting some idle issues.

E36 328i Auto

Symptom 1 : Car idles fine cold, and idles fine when I stop at the lights. But after approx 30 seconds the idle starts getting worse. Giving it a small amount of throttle and holding it there fixes it up (left foot brake, right foot accelerator).

Symptom 2 : Drive the car, park it up and leave it running in Neutral/Park for 30 seconds or more. When I change into Drive/Reverse, the revs start fluctuating towards a stall (drop from 500 to ~100 then back up to 500). Does this 3 - 4 times before coming right.

I do have a tiny coolant leak in the engine bay which results in the bay gradually filling with a coolant mist (can be seen at night time with headlights on and bonnet open), so I am thinking maybe the mist is getting pulled up the intake and screwing with things. This could explain why the problem isn't present when i first pull to a stop, air flow from driving.

I have just spent the afternoon replacing the tstat + housing, upper and lower hoses, waterpump, expansion bottle + new brass bleeder screw so we will see if that solves it, but i guess its a case of going over the basics - MAF, TPS, Fuel Filter etc but any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the hijack, but Where did you get the brass bleeder screws from? I resorted to two oil feed banjo bolts from a Subaru vf18 turbo. Perfect size and work much like a bleeder screw. However would like to replace with brass screws.

Pelican Parts. I was ordering a whole heap of other parts so i included that in my purchase because the freight from USA is a killer.

Just added one to my cart, its $8 USD + $45.75 freight to NZ. I usually buy all my parts out of Pelican Parts, but I have purchased some parts locally out of either Milland in Dunedin http://www.milland.co.nz/, or Partsplus out of Wellington http://www.partsplus.co.nz/. I have found both local suppliers are very reliable and knowledgeable.

Just noticed you have an E39 though, I have an E36 so I only have the one bleeder screw next to my expansion bottle. You probably have a couple of bleeder screws, and im not sure if the one i mentioned is compatible.