Sign in to follow this  
a13antichrist

What do we have to do to get wheels here?

I'm wondering.. because in the US you can get all sorts of replica wheels for a fraction of the cost of OE equipment from the stealer... but does that do you any good if you then have to ship them from the US to NZ? Does is still work out a better deal? Or are there places in NZ who have decent buys on OE and/or replica wheels already?

And what's the deal with replica wheels anyway? Are they ALWAYS not as good as the OE gear, and are they ALWAYS heavier, or can you get high-quality wheels at good prices, and can you ship them to NZ? Anybody have any dealers/shops etc to recommend?

Posted Image

Some dealer quoted me $250USD to ship to NZ. Problem is that I don't know if customs would but in or not - they most prob would I think - U'd end up paying all sorts of fees on top.

Some of the replica wheels are available here. I was looking at some Alpina and M5 copies before I found the Racing Dynamics rims to replace the Metrics on the E34.

If you have a tame wheel and tyre place hassle them about doing a query back into their supplier, they might not have them in stock, but they might be able to supply them to order.

As for importing....no drama.

If the total cost of the transaction including freight exceeds $500, count on paying 12.5% GST on top. You might want to confirm who the shippping company is.

I've had good and bad experiences......I've just had some trim arrive in from Germany via FEDEX, good experience....phone call on a Sunday afternoon...."we have a parcel for you, how would you like to pay for the GST".....give them the credit card details and its all done.

I imported a bumper for the RX3 from Aussie....crap experience....unknown freight company....ended up paying some fee for Auckland International Cargo handling cost of $90....a bumper costing $A300, actually ended up costing me about $900

Lesson learnt....dont use unknown freight companies!

Try Aussie, I've been into a Merc and BMW Aftermarket shop on Flemington Rd in Melbourne, they had wheels....lights....bodykits etc

Hmmmm. I guess ebay is the wrong place in Australia to buy them though, huh...

How much does a set of OE wheels cost, anyway? Guy selling those ones on the black coupe in my first post is asking $2k canadian with the tyres 225 front / 255 rear Kumho 712's.

Also, anyone know anything about these?

Posted Image