Sign in to follow this  
JSG

BMW M3 & M4 NZ Launch & Test Drive

Hey Guys

I was amazingly lucky to be one of the few who got a chance to test drive the new BMW M3 and M4 at the NZ launch last week at Hampton downs. First ones in the country, flown in on loan from BMW Australia.

10478602_600626670052733_737895707524591

Some of you may know me already, John from AutoClique NZ in Wellington. Used to be an Audi guy but have moved over to BMW, for many many many reasons.

I had expected these cars to be good, as its an M3 and M4 which are benchmark products, and I had recently road tested the 435i M and was very impressed, but I have to say my mind was blown after testing both of these cars. :wub:

I hope to get a full review with photos and a breakdown of the day out soon, but if you guys have any questions or info you would be keen to know just fire away, and will do my best as they flooded us with info on the day.

I reckon I saw them 'touring" south along the road near the Huntly Power station mid week, while I was headin' north. First impression was how big they were, and much like the M5 they looked...

• Like 1

I reckon I saw them 'touring" south along the road near the Huntly Power station mid week, while I was headin' north. First impression was how big they were, and much like the M5 they looked...

More targeted at the USA markets.

Yes I think that might have been us out that way.

They are quite big alright, I'm 6'6" and found the m3 quite roomy which surprised me.

From the photo it looks like you got one of the many wet days, shame you didn't get to enjoy them in the dry.

Yeah .... after so many years I no longer give a sh*t for the brand.

You are crazy for coming over to BMW as they know nothing about retaining loyal customers. Go back to Audi where they actually know what that means.

If they gave me one I'd drive it off a cliff.

Edited by M3_Power

"More targeted at the USA markets."

More like, looking ova the fence at what Audi and Mercs are doin'...and trying to out do them

anyway sure look nice, and sound like they go like stink

Edited by michhod

You are crazy for coming over to BMW as they know nothing about retaining loyal customers. Go back to Audi where they actually know what that means.

Bad service, and a brand that doesn't care !!!!! I have had an S5, RS6 V10 and an R8 V8 and I dont think they know much about customer loyalty or good service.

Audi R8 V8 – Road Tested – Long Term Review – The Daily SuperCar ?

From the photo it looks like you got one of the many wet days, shame you didn't get to enjoy them in the dry.

It dried up over the day thankfully, so we got to give it some in the wet and the dry.

Bad service, and a brand that doesn't care !!!!! I have had an S5, RS6 V10 and an R8 V8 and I dont think they know much about customer loyalty or good service.

Audi R8 V8 Road Tested Long Term Review The Daily SuperCar ?

I am afraid you are going to be even more disappointed if you went down the BMW route ... At least Audi gave you 4 gearboxes for the R8 .... I say that's service with a smile.

You'll be completely invisible to them after you hand over money for that brand new car ... Or if you are like me, after having done it multiple times over a span of 16 years and most recently in March this year. I am done being naive to think that they actually care about you as a customer (most certainly not after having owned the following with them .... 328i, 330i, 330i, M3, M3, M3 CSL, M3, JCW, Cooper S, Countryman, X5 plus others).

Let me be clear, if it weren't for the awesome service and parts departments from BMW I'd have left the brand a long long time ago, it's the good people that run these departments that still keep me around ... As for the sales and marketing - they are a complete joke and not worth the effort.

Edited by M3_Power

I am afraid you are going to be even more disappointed if you went down the BMW route ... At least Audi gave you 4 gearboxes for the R8 .... I say that's service with a smile.

You'll be completely invisible to them after you hand over money for that brand new car ... Or if you are like me, after having done it multiple times over a span of 16 years and most recently in March this year. I am done being naive to think that they actually care about you as a customer (most certainly not after having owned the following with them .... 328i, 330i, 330i, M3, M3, M3 CSL, M3, JCW, Cooper S, Countryman, X5 plus others).

Let me be clear, if it weren't for the awesome service and parts departments from BMW I'd have left the brand a long long time ago, it's the good people that run these departments that still keep me around ... As for the sales and marketing - they are a complete joke and not worth the effort.

Does seem like we have both had some bumpy experiences, the only reason the gave me four gearboxes was so they could charge Audi for them and the labour, good service or customer satisfaction was not really part of the equation. That and combined with the damaged that would happen to the vehicles each and every time they were in just broke me, dented doors, curbed wheels, reserving an SUV into it, I just had to move on to somewhere else. I hope things will get better, so far they have, but if things stay the same, I guess on the bright side I am already used to it.

Did they give you an invitation to this event? I know a couple of people ( father included ) who didn't get an invite, and who have had numerous full fat M models.

Did they give you an invitation to this event? I know a couple of people ( father included ) who didn't get an invite, and who have had numerous full fat M models.

It was a media/press only event, I am sure there will be something similar very shortly for dedicated M owners.

It was a media/press only event, I am sure there will be something similar very shortly for dedicated M owners.

I'd assume they would have already organized the "public" event. I know the E92 launch was arrange months and months in advance.

I'd assume they would have already organized the "public" event. I know the E92 launch was arrange months and months in advance.

You could be right, I am not 100% sure. As far as I had been made aware these were the first in NZ, but on loan.

the only reason the gave me four gearboxes was so they could charge Audi for them and the labour

I can assure you that is not how new vehicle warranty works.If you really believe that a service department makes money from changing 4 gearboxes just because they can then you must believe Audi Germany are idiots.

I can assure you that is not how new vehicle warranty works.If you really believe that a service department makes money from changing 4 gearboxes just because they can then you must believe Audi Germany are idiots.

No I don't believe they made any money on it due to how it was handled, I dont know why it took that many boxes to figure it out, it was a circus. I wish I could tell you more about it, but was kept in the dark for most of it, quite annoying.

why are you on here if you hate the brand so much, take your vitriol to the Audi site. I am sure you can find something or someone on there to hate Edited by bagster

why are you on here if you hate the brand so much, take your vitriol to the Audi site. I am sure you can find something or someone on there to hate

I don't usually reply to direct insults like this, but this is just far too hilarious not to!!!

So you sign up to this forum and put this below as your first ever post and you are questioning me about my loyalty to the brand?? Pot calling the kettle black much?

Dunno about the UK but I note that BMW New Zealand is asking $105k for the new 235i. You can buy the same car new in Aus for $80k. With the current exchange rate that equates to about $85k NZ, a cool $20k rort for the dealers....nice. you could import a new one for $90k all up and save $15k

At least the length of time I've been around here I've actually gone out of my way to help out forum members with issues whenever it is within my knowledge base or capabilities and I most certainly don't put up first posts and call local BMW NZ dealers selling cars at a profit a "rort". Do a search and you'll actually see that I probably stand up for the local dealerships far more often than anyone else on this forum.

But hey welcome to the forum.

Edited by M3_Power
  • Like 2