Sign in to follow this  
handgrenade

s50b32 exhaust manifold flexi leak

Hi all

found that my tiny exhaust leak is at the flexi at the end of the exhaust manifold ...

not an easy thing to fix as you can imagine .. not really keen to replace the entire manifold .. even if i could find a replacement flexi, i would have to pull the entire manifold as the leak is on the top of the flexi.

Anyone had this happen before?

what options are there for aftermarket headers?

WHY DIDNT BMW PUT THE FLEXI PAST THE HEADERS TO PIPE JOINT INSTEAD OF THE FREAKING MANIFOLD?

DSC05462_zpsf646a0f4.jpg

Manifolds will have to come out regardless of whether you repair or replace. Can see no reason why an aftermarket flexi would't work. Have heard it's an engine out job to get to them though.

Argh the leak is tiny as! It will be fine and passes warrants .. No big deal! But I'm sure it will be an issue in the future .. I did a quick google search and no one seems to do aftermarket Manifolds for a s50b32..

That's cos they're already super awesome! Could try an exhaust sealant wrap of some sort

Yeah that was the general consensus I found online. The leak noise is a bit annoying that's all!!

HI i had the same thing on my car.

Dont try taking the manifold out its a major PITA, need to take steering shaft out and A/C.

Mig weld in a short flexi with pipes in place. I got flexi from Autobend and P&S Autos to weld - Mint job Grayham is a legend... I can send photos.

#1 reason that the flexi is gone is your engine mounts are poked. LHS will be stuffed sitting 5mm lower due to heat from manifold twisting flexi.

Can send photos of that too...

HI i had the same thing on my car.

Dont try taking the manifold out its a major PITA, need to take steering shaft out and A/C.

Mig weld in a short flexi with pipes in place. I got flexi from Autobend and P&S Autos to weld - Mint job Grayham is a legend... I can send photos.

#1 reason that the flexi is gone is your engine mounts are poked. LHS will be stuffed sitting 5mm lower due to heat from manifold twisting flexi.

Can send photos of that too...

Thanks for the info .. do you have details of the guy who fixed it for you?

any photos would be handy too!!

Engine mounts another thing to add to the list when it goes in for maintenance!!

Cheers

The ;leak may be tiny, but the split isn't

Mine have a split ( like that but only 2cm long) that was welded up before I bought them, they are a totally fine 5 years later.

Check with some of the smarter exhaust guys ( NOT PITSTOP) they may be able to weld it in situ.

Yeah i just wanted to get the car up on a hoist, so pulled into the nearest garage. The leak is up above on top of the pipe .. tough spot to reach .. do you recommend any exhaust shops who would be able to tackle this sort of tricky repair?

Talk to Peter and/or Grayham Ball, (they are on here too) P & S Automotive. 7 Trugood Dr, East Tamaki 09-272 2951

Grayham welded the flexi below in place after exhaust shop shook their head and said it couldn't be done in place. Its done a season of racing now and my DD - sweet as.

They both built and race E36 race cars in the series and take care of a lot of the series race cars so highly recommended.

Flexi, http://www.autobend.co.nz/Files/Flexi.pdf See: SB51100

too cold and dark for photos but will get it tomorrow.

Talk to Peter and/or Grayham Ball, (they are on here too) P & S Automotive. 7 Trugood Dr, East Tamaki 09-272 2951

Grayham welded the flexi below in place after exhaust shop shook their head and said it couldn't be done in place. Its done a season of racing now and my DD - sweet as.

They both built and race E36 race cars in the series and take care of a lot of the series race cars so highly recommended.

Flexi, http://www.autobend.co.nz/Files/Flexi.pdf See: SB51100

too cold and dark for photos but will get it tomorrow.

was your flexi leak on the bottom of the flexi, or on top? Mine is on top ... makes it tricky to reach ..

You want to try to weld your flexi or replace it?

When i got my car it had no leak but after a while it started to chuff, when we looked on the hoist previous owner had welded a previous crack as well as run a line of weld across all the flexi ribs to stop it flexing :wacko: so probably made it worse. The OEM flexi is thin so patching it may not last long esp if your engine mounts are poked as the welded flexi wont expand and contract as it should.

You want to try to weld your flexi or replace it?

When i got my car it had no leak but after a while it started to chuff, when we looked on the hoist previous owner had welded a previous crack as well as run a line of weld across all the flexi ribs to stop it flexing :wacko: so probably made it worse. The OEM flexi is thin so patching it may not last long esp if your engine mounts are poked as the welded flexi wont expand and contract as it should.

Would be happy to replace it !! just not sure if they can do it in situ.

... ill send a pic, and i pinky promise it was done in place.

... ill send a pic, and i pinky promise it was done in place.

hahha thanks buddy