Sign in to follow this  
charles28

Is my coolant expansion tank stuffed?

20140919_203655_zps5217813f.jpg

The metal piece showing can easily be pushed and pulled out of the expansion tank, I assume this metal piece showing is not meant to come out and that I need a new expansion tank.

Its the one that goes from the tank to the radiator (Small thin hose) as per pic.

Ohwell, hopefully CHCH Bmw have one in stock when I call them in the morning.

Its the original expansion tank from new, the give away is the factory hose clamp, so it was due to be changed anyway I guess.

Yes it needs to be replaced. The overflow nipple is not supposed to be separable from the expansion tank so it's broken.

See pics here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5658749&postcount=8

Thanks for that, makes me feel better about it being broken, i didn't even try and take the hose off it either, only at the radiator end.. probably pulled on the hose a little when I re-attached it to the radiator, looks like it doesn't take much to break.

Yea could probably be glued if you had to run it for a short period but as a part that fails catastrophicaly its well worth replacing.