Sign in to follow this  
Blackjesus

Overheat

I have just bought a 1990 318i,

She has been sitting round for 8months as the person i bought it off has been overseas.

it has had trouble starting, and occasionally wont even tick over.

just tonight i have notice that when i start here the panel above the rear view mirror lights up and says overheat. what does this mean?

also on the panel where the speedo is, the light that says inspection is always on. is this a problem?

otherwise the tappets are noisy but no ohter problems.

any feedback would be sweet as i dont have an owners manual, but i am looking to pik up one, so any manuals that you guys reccomend?

inspection means a service is due or overdue,the service schedule goes oil service inspection 1 oil service inspection 2 oil service etc etc....you may also see a clock symbol which indicates annual inspection is due...this is a safety inspection overseas but also a reminder to change brake fluid and engine coolant(2 yrs max for these fluids)

The overheat light is warning you that the cat is to hot. It's common for it to give a false warning. Usually caused by a broken wire or because the plug has been pulled out. Take the bulb out and throw it away then cut the cat out of the exhaust and throw it away too :D

Guest Andrew

hey thanks for the feedback.

do you know where i could pick up one of these bently manuals?

Techbooks in newmarket auckland -

or amazon.com (much cheaper)